Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Joys of 100,000 Miles - Ford Expedition EL 4x4

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
We have two 2016 Expedition ELs, one 4x2 swank black leather etc... for my wife, and one 4x4 winch equipped (front or back) white over black cloth for my remodeling and construction side of work. They both just hit 100,000. At around 100,000, on these ecoboosts my mechanic friends have seen some need coil packs, so I was watching for that and have seen some hesitation/power loss and codes set at WOT on occassion. Last time in the white we read the codes and cleared. Had some more "incident" a few weeks later and as I was needing an oil change arranged to take it down earlier this week for both. On the way, lo and behold, it sets another code. Drop it with them to have them check both and change the oil. Have one of my employees drive me back to the house. As I'm walking down the drive way I notice three spots, sort of looks like motor oil but I'm thinking not, and I can tell from the location that it's three days worth of parking for the white. So I call them, give them that info and say look around on it.

They call back later, oil change done, I don't remember the code but it was a #5 misfire I think. Young racing mechanic who got the car to work on determines it's the boots allowing a spark to arc there. So, new boots and new plugs. I'm good with that, and it appeared to completely solve the problem. No apparent leaks under the car, but the owner walked to the back and noticed a drivers side dif leak at the seal. Outside boot on the same side is shot and starting to throw grease. Whoopee. But at least we caught it early. Order in new half axle and should be ready next day - friday. (I take one of my sons down and closing time to get under it on the lift and look around myself because I'm a pain in the ass like that.) So, on friday, everything looks good when I drop by the shop; beautiful new half axle. Then, they call to say it's still leaking. Think it's the seal. Will address monday. So, we're looking at around a grand so far, and while I'm not wealthy, I think that's okay for the amount of work and the trust I have in these guys (more my friends to me than a business). Will keep fingers crossed that this new seal will go in clean monday.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
We have two 2016 Expedition ELs, one 4x2 swank black leather etc... for my wife, and one 4x4 winch equipped (front or back) white over black cloth for my remodeling and construction side of work. They both just hit 100,000. At around 100,000, on these ecoboosts my mechanic friends have seen some need coil packs, so I was watching for that and have seen some hesitation/power loss and codes set at WOT on occassion. Last time in the white we read the codes and cleared. Had some more "incident" a few weeks later and as I was needing an oil change arranged to take it down earlier this week for both. On the way, lo and behold, it sets another code. Drop it with them to have them check both and change the oil. Have one of my employees drive me back to the house. As I'm walking down the drive way I notice three spots, sort of looks like motor oil but I'm thinking not, and I can tell from the location that it's three days worth of parking for the white. So I call them, give them that info and say look around on it.

They call back later, oil change done, I don't remember the code but it was a #5 misfire I think. Young racing mechanic who got the car to work on determines it's the boots allowing a spark to arc there. So, new boots and new plugs. I'm good with that, and it appeared to completely solve the problem. No apparent leaks under the car, but the owner walked to the back and noticed a drivers side dif leak at the seal. Outside boot on the same side is shot and starting to throw grease. Whoopee. But at least we caught it early. Order in new half axle and should be ready next day - friday. (I take one of my sons down and closing time to get under it on the lift and look around myself because I'm a pain in the ass like that.) So, on friday, everything looks good when I drop by the shop; beautiful new half axle. Then, they call to say it's still leaking. Think it's the seal. Will address monday. So, we're looking at around a grand so far, and while I'm not wealthy, I think that's okay for the amount of work and the trust I have in these guys (more my friends to me than a business). Will keep fingers crossed that this new seal will go in clean monday.
Once repaired, will probably go another 100k for you? Sounds like a no Brainer to me. Edit, we are talking about the 3.5 right?

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
100k on 2016 vehicles. 😳 That's some serious driving/mileage. 😂

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #4
Yes, some serious miles (though both were picked up used). I don't like the huge hit you take when you drive into the street from the dealership on new. And yes, the 3.5 twin turbo. Would probably keep to about 150K. Only thing that does not work on them is on my wife's the rear window washer doesn't work. Three years ago in an exceptionally cold spell the plastic line blew off the nozzle inside the head liner (pressure built up and backed it off) on both cars. I pulled the interior opening surround and fixed it in the white one but you can't refit those panels perfectly because they use those one way / one time clips. It's fine, no one can tell it (and I don't even notice it most of the time and I'm a nit picker) but she said she didn't use it so just leave the panels undisturbed on hers. If I have any spare time I'll probably pull it and fix it anyway and see if she even notices. So, except for this, they've been pretty reliable and defect free.