Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The "Air Grabber Hood" is eating the paint. Demon owners File Class action Law Suit.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Idk, im on the fence with that. I mean yeah crap happens but at the same time from what im understanding it’s not the flexing of the hood from racing. It’s the heat actually deforming the shape of the insert (I may be wrong). Whatever the actual defect many complaints are from people who dont race, just driving them a few miles can do it.
So i can see their frustration. Not sure i’d bring a lawsuit against them though.
Without a lawsuit, they won't fix it. And if I'd paid 85K or whatever plus mark up (some was just nuts) I'd be willing to sue. It's clearly manufacturing defect or defective design. Not suppose to just flake off as long as you're not abusing the car. And generally someone buying this car will have the wherewithall to go and fight about it. Particularly if they're hoping the car will be worth 150K in a few years (when electrics will be walking all over it anyway).

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat owners should go after FCA for the improper design of 2015-2020 hoods. The steel latches/aluminum hoods are not treated properly causing a galvanic corrosion reaction on brand new cars right off the lot. You can sand and paint over but it's just a temporary fix the Dealer may do if under warranty or its on your dime. The hoods are corroding from the inside out due to a major design flaw. If not addressed it will end up looking like this around 50k miles or well after warranty is up in most cases.

Hellcat @ 600 miles after purchase.
View attachment 25831

https://www.lxforums.com/board/charger-discussion-3rd-gen-2015-/386958-corrosion-hood.html
View attachment 25833

View attachment 25832

The R35 GTR and many other modern cars have aluminum hoods/steel latches, never had an issue with others as they were treated properly. Dodge did a terrible job on these hoods, only fix is fiberglass or a carbon replacement unless they engineer a new one from the ground up.
Feel free to sign up for my defective hood lawsuit! Actually, I'm only half joking; this kind of piss poor shit is why American design and "build" has a shitty rep when we used to be the best in the world.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Is Dodge allowed to say "It's just a Dodge..."?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Or they should offer the car in primer only and you paint it yourself. By numbers if needed.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Now in English dammit

What @Heminized said...

Or, even arguably, 3 rows above (deeper into the red, which is worse).

There are other dissimilar metal corrosion charts you can find on the web, they all don't exactly agree with each other (due to different alloys behaving differently), but basically, you don't want dissimilar metals touching each other, you get an ionic interaction between the metals, even without water/salt.

"ionic interaction" = "corrosion"

"corrosion" = "bad"

vehicle designers have known this for a really long time, it isn't a mystery, or unknown behavior...

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Buy some touch up paint and call it a day. I saw the pics of the Demons and nothing to me to file a lawsuit. If it bothers some owners so much, I will take your car and use it for what it was intended for
Look Mr. Gardocky........you don't need to be that way.....

:p

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
You hit the Galvinized nail on the head! Pairing compatible metals is critical. The galvanic scale and process can be shifted with correct metal used. Even bare steel pipes Buried in the ground for many decades lasts nicely because of a small amount of charge generated from Zink or Magnesium Anodes bags with a wire Cad welded to the pipeline. Just like anodes on a boat or Inside a hot water heater. Sacrificial lamb so to speak until the anode is depleted then good by pipes hot water heater. For large applications DC Rectifiers with current and small dc voltage driven onto pipes can take care of many many miles of pipe. This process can be duplicated by just pairing compatible metals as you have depicted nicely with the chart. Of course careful metal prep, cleaning, treating, etching, primer. Goes without saying.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
It's the only way for you to live, and for your enemies to die.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I for one get a little tired of hearing the sue this sue that shit that goes around. When in most case's it just about trying to land a big money settlement, It has nothing to do with fixing a perceived problem. How many Boy scouts would be suing for sexual misconduct if their was no money to be made? Lets all sue somebody, I'm sure we can think of something that will fly!.

CU89

Member ID
Reactions
City
Eau Claire
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2019 Widebody Scat PacK
I said this when they tried to solicit members on the other site - “what are your damages?” In any breach of contract suit you have a duty to mitigate. The car still sells for more than MSRP. Mitigate by selling your Demon.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I for one get a little tired of hearing the sue this sue that shit that goes around. When in most case's it just about trying to land a big money settlement, It has nothing to do with fixing a perceived problem. How many Boy scouts would be suing for sexual misconduct if their was no money to be made? Lets all sue somebody, I'm sure we can think of something that will fly!.
Well said .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Well said .

Hell I'm just glad I've never had a problem with mine...no cracks..peels...or chips...nothin...but if I did..I'd want it fixed thats for sure...

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Hell I'm just glad I've never had a problem with mine...no cracks..peels...or chips...nothin...but if I did..I'd want it fixed thats for sure...
But would you throw a temper tantrum and scream law suit?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
But would you throw a temper tantrum and scream law suit?

No...I'm anal...I would find the best fix on the planet..have it fixed...(regardless of whose paying..)..and move on...I wouldn't just leave it..or settle for a hack job...

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
No...I'm anal...I would find the best fix on the planet..have it fixed...(regardless of whose paying..)..and move on...I wouldn't just leave it..or settle for a hack job...
I agree with this . If something breaks I will do the same thing . Do the best possible fix so I don't have to worry about .

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Interesting. The insert on my Demon did the same thing and all I did was go to the dealer to show them the issue. They took pictures of the damage the insert did to the paint and sent it in to FCA as a warranty claim. A few days later, we received authorization from FCA that once we receive the redesigned insert from them that they would also cover the cost of repainting the hood. Seems to me that someone is just after money instead of simply filing a warranty claim for it.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Mine had a couple of small chips when I got it home with about sixty miles on the clock so I took the scoop out until the redesigned insert was released.Bought the new insert a year ago from Avondale for around $100, fitted it myself and a 1000 miles later all is good.
I think this article is either old news or fake news,although FCA took longer than I’d have liked ,they have produced a suitable replacement,as they should.