Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Spraywax.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
So, as title states, this is about spray wax.
I have been searching awhile for one that really impresses me with ease of use and looks.
Have used Turtle Wax Ice, Meguires, Chemical Brothers, Mckees 37, Flitz, Torque, and West Coast Customs.
Out of the above, I would say I was impressed with Mckees 37 the most,..... Until today.
Tim ( @Hellcatcfp ) asked me about Beadmaker.
So, of course, I had to try it.
Absolutely blown away by the look it gives, and ease of use.
FYI:
If you go online and order, PAY ATTENTION to shipping / pricing info.
View attachment 40887
I was initially impressed with Beadmaker, when I used it on my Pitch Black Challenger. But it's expensive, and on a dark color the streaking is problematic. I used up my supply of it using it as a drying aid and that seemed to minimize the streaking, which won't be as apparent on a red like yours.

Very nice Hunter. Probably not the most durable as a stand alone, but a great topper (between washes) for any coating. Did you notice it looked better after it had 6 hours or so of cure time? Sickness is amazing. It is my drying aid/after wash go to.
This^^^ It isn't durable, but as a topper applied as a drying aid, it isn't too shabby.

I don't like the look of ceramic coatings. It gives the car a durable, high gloss shine... but it's a top shine. You can build a lot of depth with waxes that makes the car really sit apart from the crowd. For us military folks, it's the difference between a set of elbow greased spit shined shoes and a pair of patent leather shoes. If you put two cars side-by-side, one each with ceramic and the other a show quality wax treatment, you can really tell the difference.

The big downside though is upkeep. I tend to spend about 6 hours every 2 months hand waxing. I only use arms and elbows. No orbitals.

More on topic, I have used beadmaker, it's good stuff... but it's a bit expeeeeeensive. I personally use Meguiar's tech wax 2.0 as a base double coat, followed by 2 ultra light coats of CG Butter Wax, topped off with a spray on Showtime Shine from Cali Gold. The 4 coats of wax are stacked like this: Base coats go on 8 hours apart. Wait overnight. Put on the top coats lightly, about 4 hours apart. Buff. Then use Showtime Shine once as a sealant and then every other week or so.
I totally agree with you regarding the difference between a ceramic shine (a "hard candy" look) and the "deep wet" look a good wax gives you, especially on a dark colored car.

The big downside though is upkeep. I tend to spend about 6 hours every 2 months hand waxing. I only use arms and elbows. No orbitals.
I would recommend looking at Collinite #885 FleetWax. It's the exact same thing as their #476, just repackaged; you typically get 2 more oz for the same price.

The #885/ #476 is more of a sealant than a wax. The #885 is a marine product but contains the same ingredients as the #476 car wax. Both are highly durable; in fact, Collinite lists both as being more durable than the better known Collinite #845 Insulator wax.

On my Pitch Black, I'd strip it down once a year, apply two coats of #855, and be done for the year. Periodically, when I would do a full foam-cannon wash (as opposed to just a detail spray wipedown), I would apply a topcoat of a good product like Beadmaker, or the one I switched to, Jescar's Paint Refresh (f/k/a Menzerna Endless Shine). That was key in maintaining the underlying #885; a good top coat.

Unlike #845 which gave that "hard candy shell" look, the #855 / #476 gives a rich deep "wet" look. I can't recommend it enough.

My paint after a rain storm, 11 months after the initial application of #476 / #855, following the regimen described above:

Water beading Maple Grove zoom in.jpg

Ultimately, it comes down to (1) how well the underlying finish is clean and free from particulates, and (2) the product you use.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have heard very good things about the Collinite stuff. I have never tried it though. I'm in the process of prepping mine for a ceramic coating.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
I was initially impressed with Beadmaker, when I used it on my Pitch Black Challenger. But it's expensive, and on a dark color the streaking is problematic. I used up my supply of it using it as a drying aid and that seemed to minimize the streaking, which won't be as apparent on a red like yours.

This^^^ It isn't durable, but as a topper applied as a drying aid, it isn't too shabby.

I totally agree with you regarding the difference between a ceramic shine (a "hard candy" look) and the "deep wet" look a good wax gives you, especially on a dark colored car.

I would recommend looking at Collinite #885 FleetWax. It's the exact same thing as their #476, just repackaged; you typically get 2 more oz for the same price.
I just ordered some of this Collinite #885. I'll give it a shot and see how it does. I used to use a Zymol wax that was fantastic, but they don't make it anymore and I've been trying different things on this Hellcat with mixed results. In a couple weeks I'll clay/strip the car and give this a shot. Thanks for the recommendation!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I just ordered some of this Collinite #885. I'll give it a shot and see how it does. I used to use a Zymol wax that was fantastic, but they don't make it anymore and I've been trying different things on this Hellcat with mixed results. In a couple weeks I'll clay/strip the car and give this a shot. Thanks for the recommendation!
You can still get Zymol:

https://www.zymol.com/index.aspx

I still use the HD Cleanse for taking out scratches and such. I used the Carbon wax for years on all my black Fords :) Best wax ever made.

They sold out to Turtlewax at some point in the 90's, but I'm not sure if that's still the case since it looks like Zymol has gone back to a full selection of products. TW did the typical thing and cut the selection after they bought them.

I'm almost our of HD Cleanse so I'll have to order up some more soon.

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody (sold)
I used Eagle One wax as u dry before ceramic and really liked it.