Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Some dealers asking $100,000-plus for Daytona-edition Dodge Charger SRT Hellcats

BoostedCat

Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/30/dodge-charger-hellcat-daytona-markup/

If you thought the name of the 2020 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody Daytona 50th Anniversary Edition was a lot to swallow, then you're definitely going to choke on what some dealers are asking for the privilege of owning one. The $4,495 package is commanding as much as $25,000 in "market adjustments" from stores looking to capitalize on the rarity of this extremely limited-edition model.

The folks over at Moparinsiders.com reported Friday that some dealers are asking Demon-level prices for their limited allocations of the commemorative package. Their assessment? Not worth it. We're inclined to agree.

The Daytona 50th Anniversary Edition package is, fundamentally at least, little more than a set of stickers, a dash plaque and a tiny bump in horsepower. What you really get for your money is exclusivity. Only 501 were built (to commemorate the number of production units required to homologate the original Charger Daytona for NASCAR racing); just 451 went to U.S. dealers. The other 50 were reserved for Canada.

To be fair, no variant of the 2020 Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody even approaches the definition of "inexpensive." Just to get behind the wheel of the newest edition to the Charger lineup will set you back at least $71,000.

The Widebody package is more than just a set of custom fenders. The Hellcat also gets another 1.6 inches of track width and some extra rubber on the road. SRT engineers also increased the Hellcat’s front spring rate by 32% and beefed up its sway bars (from 19 mm to 21.7 mm in the front and from 32 mm to 34 mm in the rear). The adaptive suspension was firmed up a little bit across the board too for crisper response over road imperfections.

Plus, you know, there's that 707-horsepower, supercharged, 6.2-liter engine. The Daytona gets an extra 10 ponies, right? Well, sort of, anyway. SRT rated its output at a slightly higher engine speed. Between us, it's the same thing.

So, there's a silver lining: You don't have to spend $100,000 for a 2020 Charger Widebody Hellcat if you don't want to, but somebody probably will.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 5.54.42 AM.png

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Is it me or does the front look similar to the mustang 🤔

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Get a reg WB charger and put a $100 decal on it. $$$ saved. I dont recall any "limited edition/special edition" numbered mopar (IE Paint/stickers/plaque) made since 2008 that has held its value to be warrant paying anything over MSRP for. Demon excepted of course, that a whole diff ballgame

Member ID
Reactions
City
Worcester
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
These mark-ups are almost as irritating as being one of the lucky ones to receive your Redeye about one month prior to the $7,970 discount from Dodge. I think this was a douche-bag move from Dodge and should be retroactively applied to anyone that bought a 2019 model year. The fact that it came out almost immediately after buying mine was just additional salt in the wound. They should at least offer a voucher to anyone that bought a 2019 and didn't get the discount, kind of like they did with the $15,000 voucher with the GenV Viper's.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Hard pass. Not a fan of the color scheme and stickers.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Hard pass. Not a fan of the color scheme and stickers.
Agree 100%
What are they thinking with all the pastel? Just ew...

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Not something I would pay extra for.

But P.T. Barnum was 100% right in his famous observation regarding suckers.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
These mark-ups are almost as irritating as being one of the lucky ones to receive your Redeye about one month prior to the $7,970 discount from Dodge. I think this was a douche-bag move from Dodge and should be retroactively applied to anyone that bought a 2019 model year. The fact that it came out almost immediately after buying mine was just additional salt in the wound. They should at least offer a voucher to anyone that bought a 2019 and didn't get the discount, kind of like they did with the $15,000 voucher with the GenV Viper's.
I concur.
Won't happen, but would have been a great Christmas gift.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
This is the only Daytona as far as I’m concerned. All others are wanna be’s.
B03F27E1-0D22-4599-90A9-8D8080EA3A36.jpeg

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I like it ...but not that much. I’m sure there will be some at sticker at some point.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
These mark-ups are almost as irritating as being one of the lucky ones to receive your Redeye about one month prior to the $7,970 discount from Dodge. I think this was a douche-bag move from Dodge and should be retroactively applied to anyone that bought a 2019 model year
Understand the frustration but not sure I agree with your position. It's pretty well known most car manufacturers offer big rebates at the end of the model year. If you bought it earlier that's sort of the risk you took. I don't think anybody anticipated the huge rebates, but that's the way it goes. I'm considering picking up a 2019, but won't be able to put anything together before Thursday. If the rebates end as Dodge has said they will then so be it I'll go back to looking for a lightly used car.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
It’s the least respectable multi trillion dollar industry for a reason. And they find new ways to keep that title every chance they get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
I guarantee that all 501 will find new homes.

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
Thanks, but no thanks...not worth it.

CU89

Member ID
Reactions
City
Eau Claire
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2019 Widebody Scat PacK
Let someone else pay the markup and then in two years buy it used for $42k

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
The Daytona 50th Anniversary Edition package is, fundamentally at least, little more than a set of stickers, a dash plaque and a tiny bump in horsepower. What you really get for your money is exclusivity.
Just wait and see what the dealers do with the 20th anniversary Challengers.....bet dealers will be marking those up too.

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Stealerships for sure with few exceptions. My biggest beef with FCA is how they flooded the market with 2016 HC's, offered crazy low lease payments to get out from under them and then bastardized/diluted the HC brand by taking many unique HC features and putting them on lower end models. Hell, if I am driving down the road and encounter another Challenger it's difficult to determine if it's a HC or not. Some say that "Oh that's just what manufacturers do blah blah blah" but my opinion is that's not a good long term vision if you are interested in keeping a customer long term. Love my HC but not sure I would give Dodge my business in the future based on some of the promotional gymnastics observed. Agree with the comments regarding the Daytona upcharging by Dealers. Someone will probably buy them but it won't be me. Ford plays the same game with their "latest and greatest" models too so FCA isn't alone. Rant over.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
My selling dealer has orders for 4 or 5 and I looked at him and said your discounting right lol. He feels I’ll be buying one and you just never know with me lol.