Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Red Eye/ Hellcat Oil Capacity and observasions.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I had to order the paper manual for my 16 which F6C3848B-E8CB-480D-94E3-2979F502CA02.jpeg Came with a disc I have never looked at. My users guide with this other stuff came in a black stitched pouch but the big white owners manual I had to order. At least it was free

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #22
I had to order the paper manual for my 16 which View attachment 13047 Came with a disc I have never looked at. My users guide with this other stuff came in a black stitched pouch but the big white owners manual I had to order. At least it was free
Ahhhh. Did not know that. I have the "users guide" which is not the manual, I thought they streamlined it and changed the name to users guide. If you're the orig owner and you order it, you get it for free?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Yes owners manual is still 7 quarts. If you drain engine and change filter then add 7 quarts, yes you will read full. But the 9 ounces in the cooler will not be changed. Two things: 1) IMHO the 9 ounces is a pretty good amount of oil, I wouldn't want that much contaminated oil mixed with the fresh 7 quarts. 2) They put that drain plug in there for a reason.
It's not life or death, or the end of the world if you don't change the cooler oil, but as an enthusiast you try to go the extra to make things right/better. Also if you put a big rock in the bottom of your oil pan it would do no damage. It wouldn't get sucked up into the filter or hurt anything. But it's the little micro bits of metal that come with wear that will get up into things and score bearings etc. Why not try to get out all you can? Just my .02.
P.S. I'm also run a filter mag. LOL.
I would be concerned on the first oil change to drain all the oil including the cooler. I always drain the cooler but “microbits” of metal, if any, will be captured by the oil filter. As often as oil gets changed in these mostly low mileage cars, the oil is typically very clean. It really won’t be a big worry if you don’t drain the cooler every time.

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
This thread comes to my attention at a good time. I had my oil changed mid-January. My regular tech has moved on to greener pastures so a new guy did the work. I promptly brought it home and put it on the tender and that's where it has been since. Since tomorrow is supposed to be mid 40's and 100% sun *ideal weather* I will put "check my oil level" on my to-do list before I go Hellcatting.

...speaking of greener pastures I am now also reminded that I have to clear the backyard of dog shit tomorrow. It has been piling up since December. It's gonna be Ruff!

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Ahhhh. Did not know that. I have the "users guide" which is not the manual, I thought they streamlined it and changed the name to users guide. If you're the orig owner and you order it, you get it for free?
Yes free, I would contact Chrysler.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yesterday I did the first oil change on my Red eye at 577mi. Was waiting to break 500mi to do first oil change even though most go 1000 or more and oil life was reading 91%. I'm old school, I always change oil on a fresh engine at 500mi. Started yesterday off at 479 and when I got home it was 577 so I just changed it. I've been looking at oil capacitates for Hellcats and again nothing but confusion and no definitive answers. Some say 7 (with oil filter change), some say 7.5 with cooler, and some say 6 (because I believe even Mopar made a mistake and printed it wrong one year in the owners manuals) AND there were 2 different oil dipsticks made also over the years o_O. Thanks Mopar!
Well all I can say is what I found when I did it.
1) Oil capacity is DEFINETLY 7 quarts for just motor with oil filter change. I decided to go with the standard MO-899 filter because that's what was on the car and on factory Demons and has big round feed holes into the filter media. I have an SRT filter (MO-041) on my other 6.1 SRT8 at last oil change because supposedly it has a stronger relief spring and other improvements but when it was revealed by @BULL that some of the feed holes to the filter media were squished kinda flat and didn't look all to promising for flow I said "screw it" and went with the good old standard.
2) Some say the oil cooler only holds a few ounces and it's not worth draining. I found mine had at least nine. I drained it directly into an empty oil can and then put that amount into an empty oil quart container and recorded the amount. It was then that when I went to fix 'a problem' some slightly more had drained out and on the ground.
SIDE NOTE (the problem): When I removed the oil cooler bolt it was barely torqued down at all and had 'drag' on it the whole way out. Came to discover the bolt had bad flat spots on the threads and was binding/scoring the aluminum threads into the cooler housing. Thank god no cross threads. I filed the bolt threads with a micro file at flat spots and cleaned with a brass then stainless wire brush and came like knew. I recorded some of what I pulled out of the cooler threads also. Put bolt back in on cooler and pan and torqued both to 20 ft. lbs.

NO ONE AT A DEALERSHIP/STATION WOULD EVER TAKE THE CARE TO FIX/CLEAN/MEASURE ANY OF THIS. SO I STRONGLY ADVISE IF YOU'RE PHYSICALLY CAPABLE...…..DO YOUR OWN OIL CHANGES!

Sooooo :sleep:, in summary, I found motor, filter, and cooler drain require 7 quarts 9 ounces to be completely drained and filled correctly. How do I know? When I checked dipstick this morning (with cross hatch on stick FACING THE CRANK) it was exactly at the full mark at the top of cross hatch and just touching the hole above it. Just the way it came from the factory first day I got it. Hope this helps someone.
FCA coulda made this a whole lot easier on us...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
This thread comes to my attention at a good time. I had my oil changed mid-January. My regular tech has moved on to greener pastures so a new guy did the work. I promptly brought it home and put it on the tender and that's where it has been since. Since tomorrow is supposed to be mid 40's and 100% sun *ideal weather* I will put "check my oil level" on my to-do list before I go Hellcatting.

...speaking of greener pastures I am now also reminded that I have to clear the backyard of dog shit tomorrow. It has been piling up since December. It's gonna be Ruff!
Hope Fido is a pug or smaller

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
FCA coulda made this a whole lot easier on us...
Why would they do that? Then interesting threads like this would not be needed and what in the hell would we argue about?