Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Procharger install?

SRTrules

Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Antonio
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Durango SRT
Hi! New guy here with a 2020 Durango SRT w/17k... Have a Procharger kit sitting in the garage and looking for advice on whether or not to install it myself. Something about "tapping the crank" makes me nervous

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Hi! New guy here with a 2020 Durango SRT w/17k... Have a Procharger kit sitting in the garage and looking for advice on whether or not to install it myself. Something about "tapping the crank" makes me nervous
I'm thinking you are talking about pinning the crank? There are video on doing it, it isn't that bad. I installed a few vortechs on mustangs back in the 90's and you had to punch a hole in the oil pan for the oil return. That made a few nervous

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
New prochargers don’t drain into the oil pan, they’re self contained.
Pinning the crank is a pain in the ass but not really difficult. If you have a competent shop in the area they can do it for you and you could do the rest of the install if you didn’t have the right tools to get it done. Everyone I know that has one got through it with fairly basic tools and a 90* drill.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
New prochargers don’t drain into the oil pan, they’re self contained.
Pinning the crank is a pain in the ass but not really difficult. If you have a competent shop in the area they can do it for you and you could do the rest of the install if you didn’t have the right tools to get it done. Everyone I know that has one got through it with fairly basic tools and a 90* drill.
Yep pretty much they all are now

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I'm thinking you are talking about pinning the crank? There are video on doing it, it isn't that bad. I installed a few vortechs on mustangs back in the 90's and you had to punch a hole in the oil pan for the oil return. That made a few nervous
Punching the oil pan worked great for me. Thought it was nuts but no issues.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Punching the oil pan worked great for me. Thought it was nuts but no issues.
The punch I had was too big so had to keep checking the hole size. Then you had to thread it for the fitting. They all worked out:)

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
I installed a ProCharger on my 5.3L Silverado. It isn't all that hard if you have any mechanical skills. Just take your time and pay attention to the details. I wouldn't go with the tune ProCharger provides it just sucks, so...... have it tuned by a reputable tuner for what you want to do with it. I have mine tuned for towing and its a bad mother pulling that 10,000 lb trailer. The ProCharger added around 185 hp, I also added a boost gauge and left and right bank AFR gauges. One more thing, ditch those POS worm drive clamps and order some T bar clamps you'll be glad you did the upgrade.

I upgraded the factory exhaust to a Borla so it would breath.

I also added the Tracy Lewis Performance (I believe is now RX) dual valve catch can to the motor, that way the catch can works whether in boost or cruising modes. When it's cool and or humid the condensation that the Air to Air exhanger puts out is crazy. It has a drain valve on the bottom of the can and you can route it for easy draining.

You might find the piping may need routed differently but ProCharger is great to work with and will send you any elbows or pipe you need.

Attachments

Last edited: