Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

non-HC rear end issues....

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
On the 2016 Expedition EL I use as a work truck (4x4, front and rear interchangeable 10,000 pound made in USA wench, full iron custom installed rear tow gear, front 2" receiver hitch, etc...) I am starting to get heavy chatter and not-commanded wheel movement at 2-3 miles per hour in forward and reverse. Didn't appear to be anything wrong in the back at first, checked whole 4x4 system because its vacuum for locking hubs, etc..., but still no joy. Lastly, swapped out fluid and added new and friction modifier. Sometimes seems much better, but third start after swapped fluid it seemed even worse. Those with experience, how long does it usually take to work the modifier in everywhere? For Ex ELs I've seen where this sometimes fixes the problem, chattering goes away. Other times (about 50/50 split) need a whole new diff, which I'd rather not afford in my current reduced circumstances (that have been in place 12+ years now lol). Also, news to me, but evidently only the 4x4 Expedition ELs get the 3.73 non-limited slip rear axle, and supposedly unique clutch set up.

School me, diff masters.