Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Bronco Raptor gets Smoked by Jeep Wrangler 392😳

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Seems if they were going to put the Raptor name on it they’d do better than that on the HP. What an ass kicking😂

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I bet these fat ass 2016 Expedition ELs could give those broncos a run for their money. 7.2 and 15.3

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Judging by the times they posted in the video, they are working against some seriously thin mountain air/high DA. I know it well...

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
The thing with those raptors though.. Arn’t they all limited to 99mph? So what’s the point haha? A Prius will outrun it probably on the top

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Stock for Stock the 392 is a beast.

But those same people did a Durango 392 v Explorer ST (i believe same 3.0TT in the Raptor) with same results stock for stock. But then they put a tune in the ST and maybe a couple other bolt ons and the Explorer ST beat the Durango.

That 3.0L that Ford has is a little hot rod engine. Like Chevy's LS7, a lot of potential that for some reason is dialed way down.

Seeing guys make their Explorers run mid 11s is no joke. For a sub 60k SUV that can run Hellcat Durango numbers.

People will make that Bronco Raptor fly, and it will be a tune, e85, and an intercooler upgrade to do it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Have link to 11 sec explorer? That time is no joke.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Have link to 11 sec explorer? That time is no joke.

You get the idea. Plenty of info out there too.
I really liked the thing when Ford released it. Been trying to convince the wife of a new SUV with one. The interior is not as nice as a new Durango R/T and exterior wise they are the same to me. But that drive train is pretty killer from Ford.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

Found the 392 v ST v tuned ST

1/4 mile conversions are approx
392 = 13.44@102
ST = 14.10@99
Tuned ST = 12.81@108

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

I really liked the thing when Ford released it. Been trying to convince the wife of a new SUV with one. The interior is not as nice as a new Durango R/T and exterior wise they are the same to me. But that drive train is pretty killer from Ford.
Was a durango HC? Looked like the conventional SRT Durango; wonder what mods? 4wd for the win

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Was a durango HC? Looked like the conventional SRT Durango; wonder what mods? 4wd for the win
ST needs the following mods and can be an 11 sec car or damn close.

Tune (of some sort, zfg looks to be the leader here, but honestly I think @jonx96 could do better given more time)

E50 for the fuel

Intercooler upgrade to whipple ic

0-60 with this setup would be high 3s low 4s

Power would be 500-530 hp and 550+ lb ft torque.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat

Imo outside of the dumb screen and stupid camera setup the explorer St is the better car all around. Uconnect 5 is a nightmare in the trx and have heard similar stories in the durango.

Durango is very outdated, explorer wins in every category except for style which is subjective.

Tech - ford wins here, lane centering, auto hold.... and fordpass is free compared to fca charging customers for remote start/unlock/ etc etc

Everything else is the same

Interior - St the seats are comfortable but could use some more sprucing up, durango seats are nicer and the dash setup is better but no pano roof and the crux of the interior is the same as it was 5-6 years ago.

Performance- stock the srt/hellcat win but they also cost a lot more and it's nothing a tune can't fix.

Exhaust - durango all the way but a 3 inch system or valved mufflers/x pipe make it sound like a gtr/ford gt. (It's palatable)

Price wise - St best bang for buck

I would have grabbed the durango hellcat if the lease rates were realistic simply because of how well its gonna hold its value but the ST was a nice compromise, I was very happy with it for the few months I had it before my charger came in, then I transferred it to my mom and dumped her shitty driving honda pilot, she loves how the St feels compared to the economy style Japanese suv's drivetrain.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
ST needs the following mods and can be an 11 sec car or damn close.

Tune (of some sort, zfg looks to be the leader here, but honestly I think @jonx96 could do better given more time)

E50 for the fuel

Intercooler upgrade to whipple ic

0-60 with this setup would be high 3s low 4s

Power would be 500-530 hp and 550+ lb ft torque.
Me and zfg don’t get along. I asked on the forum to see a datalog as I was trying to compare somethings with how the eco boost determines the quality of fuel and what was normal to see as it was winter months here and we have bad fuel. He told me to pound sand and stop trying to steal his business. At that point I wasn’t even tuning for anyone but myself. I still haven’t tuned anyones eco boosts. He tries to corner the market and shoot down anyone else trying to tune. There are a few other shops that tune st now and have seen the similar performance results.
o btw someone called me out on behalf of zfg to race my hellcat cad their explorer and zfg was such a good tuner they’d smoke me at the track. The worlds fastest explorer last I knew was high 10s low 11s and that was a built engine, trans and bigger turbos soooo…. I told them I’d only race and the bet would have to be at least 5k maybe even 10k I never heard back.

Last edited:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Imo outside of the dumb screen and stupid camera setup the explorer St is the better car all around. Uconnect 5 is a nightmare in the trx and have heard similar stories in the durango.

Durango is very outdated, explorer wins in every category except for style which is subjective.

Tech - ford wins here, lane centering, auto hold.... and fordpass is free compared to fca charging customers for remote start/unlock/ etc etc

Everything else is the same

Interior - St the seats are comfortable but could use some more sprucing up, durango seats are nicer and the dash setup is better but no pano roof and the crux of the interior is the same as it was 5-6 years ago.

Performance- stock the srt/hellcat win but they also cost a lot more and it's nothing a tune can't fix.

Exhaust - durango all the way but a 3 inch system or valved mufflers/x pipe make it sound like a gtr/ford gt. (It's palatable)

Price wise - St best bang for buck

I would have grabbed the durango hellcat if the lease rates were realistic simply because of how well its gonna hold its value but the ST was a nice compromise, I was very happy with it for the few months I had it before my charger came in, then I transferred it to my mom and dumped her shitty driving honda pilot, she loves how the St feels compared to the economy style Japanese suv's drivetrain.
Agree on all parts.

For 60k, you can't beat the ST.
A few simple bolt ons and its a handful on the street.

My buddy had some 392 and SRT8 Jeeps in the past, those were a lot of fun too. I'll take the Ford right now if given the choice.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Agree on all parts.

For 60k, you can't beat the ST.
A few simple bolt ons and its a handful on the street.

My buddy had some 392 and SRT8 Jeeps in the past, those were a lot of fun too. I'll take the Ford right now if given the choice.
I still think the durango is the better long term value if you can afford it and it's gas because they only made them for one year and I'm sure like the Amg wagons these are gonna turn into a collectable.

But yeah I'm with you, the St is the way to go at the moment.

The 392 engine as well as the hellcat engine in awd powertrains are very very fun because they make so much power stock, it's just putting it down to the ground, unfortunately the awd powertrains are stuck in the trucks, jeeps and suv's that are not very aerodynamic or built for the same purpose as a sedan or coupe, If the charger and challenger were awd the 392s would be dropping 0-60s in the high 3s and the hellcats would be in the low 3s and then tuned,bolt-ons, etc etc would make them incredibly fast.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Me and zfg don’t get along. I asked on the forum to see a datalog as I was trying to compare somethings with how the eco boost determines the quality of fuel and what was normal to see as it was winter months here and we have bad fuel. He told me to pound sand and stop trying to steal his business. At that point I wasn’t even tuning for anyone but myself. I still haven’t tuned anyones eco boosts. He tries to corner the market and shoot down anyone else trying to tune. There are a few other shops that tune st now and have seen the similar performance results.
o btw someone called me out on behalf of zfg to race my hellcat cad their explorer and zfg was such a good tuner they’d smoke me at the track. The worlds fastest explorer last I knew was high 10s low 11s and that was a built engine, trans and bigger turbos soooo…. I told them I’d only race and the bet would have to be at least 5k maybe even 10k I never heard back.
Palm beach dyno is another, the more I look into zfg the more I think it's possible to duplicate/replicate but the thing is that most explorer owners aren't really tuning so in itself it's a niche market, as compared to the hellcat where a large majority of them are getting some sort of mods, tune, etc etc.

So basically he's attempting/succeeding at cornerning a niche market.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #18
Good Stuff🥸

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Stock eco boost tune is very complicated. Fords knock sensors are far superior to dodge. But dodge does other things better.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Stock eco boost tune is very complicated. Fords knock sensors are far superior to dodge. But dodge does other things better.
I still think it's doable for you, it might take you some time but I think you can create something comparable, a lot of new companies have popped up since the St became popular.

But the bmw's, mercedes, audi, etc etc are a lot more complicated, euro is a whole different animal.