Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jerky Shifting During Near-Stop Acceleration

Member ID
Reactions
City
Zionsville
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
I've got a '21 SRT Durango with ~4000 miles and have noticed with casual cruising with Drive Mode in 'Automatic" and accelerating from a near stop or a rolling-stop (~2-4 mph), it will hesitate then 'hiccup' and go. It acts like it starts in second gear but then 'changes its mind' and decides to downshift to first with hesitation and a clunk that shakes the car. Is this normal? It is kind of irritating if not embarrassing. Although a different transmission (and engine), my 2013 Durango RT shifts normally from near-stop accelerations.

I hate to always have to put the Drive Mode in "Sport" or manually shift every time to get smooth low MPH-RPM shifts. Any input as to whether this is something I need to learn to live with or should I have the dealership take a look at it while still under warranty.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Welcome to the forums!

We have a MY19 DSRT, I have not noticed this behavior.

Does it do this if you give more (or less) throttle pressure?

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
My Redeye does this.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Our 18 DSRT does not do this.

OP
S
Member ID
Reactions
City
Zionsville
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
Thread Starter #5
I notice it with ordinary going-to-market type driving, if I romp on it doesn't do it. My impression is that unless you come to a complete stop for a second or two, it will stay in second gear and with light throttle, it will hesitate, strain, then downshift to first with a 'clunk'. A good description of the experience is when accelerating from a rolling-stop the transmission hiccups aggressively from 2 to 1st before you cruise on your merry way.

OP
S
Member ID
Reactions
City
Zionsville
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
Thread Starter #6
By the by, my 2014 SRT Charger (5 speed) does not do this either.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I notice it with ordinary going-to-market type driving, if I romp on it doesn't do it. My impression is that unless you come to a complete stop for a second or two, it will stay in second gear and with light throttle, it will hesitate, strain, then downshift to first with a 'clunk'. A good description of the experience is when accelerating from a rolling-stop the transmission hiccups aggressively from 2 to 1st before you cruise on your merry way.

Well, in that classic doctor way of dealing with a patients problem...

Don't do that...

; )

Being serious, if you come to a complete stop and then take off, regardless of how much throttle pressure, it behaves nicely.

OP
S
Member ID
Reactions
City
Zionsville
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT
Thread Starter #8
That is correct, from a 1-2 second stop (no forward motion), everything is fine. Obviously, it is not a major problem but with a not-so-cheap new car, I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone thought it indicated an actual problem that needs to be addressed (Dealership) or that it represents 'normal' idiosyncratic behavior of a 2021 DSRT that one just has to learn to live with.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The trans "wanders" for a second or so to find the correct gear. Many do this.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Countryside
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Durango SRT - Destroyer Gray
I've had the same happen to my 22 SRT with only 500 miles on it, it seems as though when it downshifts and you hit the gas again there is a very slight delay, nothing too crazy more like a minor annoyance.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orange County
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Dodge Durango SRT
I've experienced this in my '21 SRT. That sounds typical of the Auto drive mode. The transmission downshifts much later (for fuel savings :rolleyes:) when decelerating. There is certainly a bit of latency between the TPS signal and ECM/PCM when in Auto mode; The TPS is less sensitive to input changes compared to Sport, etc. Therefore, it takes more input of the throttle pedal before the ECM/PCM realizes you actually want to accelerate. Mine does NOT do this in Sport, Track or the Custom driving mode I usually run.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I think once or twice the trans in my 2017 Charger HC did this. I tend to be very focused on "weird" trans behaviour when it happens, so I noticed it clearly. However, it never did it again.

PS - I was impressed with how aggressive this trans was in allowing downshifts when commanded or when it felt that the driving behaviour required it. Someone were just ridiculously violent. lol, loved it, but a part of me was like WTH?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Push the clutch in fer a change.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Beach
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango srt
I have a 2021 ddsrt and sometimes it would not shift out of first, in auto mode I would have to put it in paddle mode then back in auto to shift.First they changed the valve body and now they are putting in a new transmission.I have 20000 miles

RichNolen

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hobart
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango Hellcat
I've got a '21 SRT Durango with ~4000 miles and have noticed with casual cruising with Drive Mode in 'Automatic" and accelerating from a near stop or a rolling-stop (~2-4 mph), it will hesitate then 'hiccup' and go. It acts like it starts in second gear but then 'changes its mind' and decides to downshift to first with hesitation and a clunk that shakes the car. Is this normal? It is kind of irritating if not embarrassing. Although a different transmission (and engine), my 2013 Durango RT shifts normally from near-stop accelerations.

I hate to always have to put the Drive Mode in "Sport" or manually shift every time to get smooth low MPH-RPM shifts. Any input as to whether this is something I need to learn to live with or should I have the dealership take a look at it while still under warranty.
Mine does this, its really crappy at speeds of less then 35 or so in default or auto mode. It tries to shift into 7th or 8th and then dogs out because the RPM is to low. I have found the best way to deal with this is to either keep it in sport mode, or just manually shift between 5-6 in those speeds.