Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hypocritical Car Care People

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Most people just drive their cars, do normal maintenance, don't overly baby it, nor drive it like its stolen, and they just go about their lives. I would like to think that I take better care of my cars than the average motorist, but am not anal about it either.

But what strikes me as really odd is those select few who insist on telling others how to take care of their cars, and brag about how exceptionally great they treat their own cars. Those people in my opinion are often the most abusive people around. We've probably all met them, they do dumb stuff like use an oil that they think is okay to change just once a year, I would never leave the contaminated oil in my cars a year, I don't give a shit what additives the oil has in it. My cars are garaged when home, i park in the corner of a busy parking lot, I use a steering wheel club to act as a visual theft deterrent, very gentle on the throttle for the first 5 minutes as everything warms up such as engine, transmission, and diff, run premium gas even in the wifes suv and my Honda.
I don't drive through those car washes with brushes, wax my cars twice a year, check tire pressure monthly, look under the hood for anything wrong and check fluid levels every time I fill the fuel tank, check all lights monthly or more. Yet some people who take 10% as good of care of their cars, claim they are so careful with theirs, and I abuse mine. Told a guy to fuck off this morning when he tried telling me about how to care for my car, especially when i looked at his and it was covered in door dings, and he told me that he runs amsoil so it only needs to be changed once a year. I find that those braggers are usually the very worst car care offenders.

Tell me your hypocrite horror stories.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
The ones with all the added painted crap all over their cars always seem to be bragging about how they do so much work on their cars. Not really hypocritical but fugly isnt the type of work that makes me think they know what theyre doing either lol.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I once new someone with a diesel pickup truck. He was always so worried about driving it cold he'd let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes before driving it. I think the idling did more harm to his engine.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I once new someone with a diesel pickup truck. He was always so worried about driving it cold he'd let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes before driving it. I think the idling did more harm to his engine.
I'm guessing that guy didn't have the block heater, or else he didn't bother to plug it in.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
I knew a guy that let his pickup idle a minimum of a half hour even in the summer at 100 degrees out.

My vehicles at most idle a full minute, then i just idle away gently.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
When they come down off the high idle and are at normal idle speed, they should be ready to work. I've had plenty of diesel powered airfield gear and it all got towed from wherever it was sitting, hooked to the aircraft, turned on and used right after it went to normal idle speed. It went from idle to whatever the working speed was when the switched got flipped. Never had an issue.

My personal diesels have had the block heater plugged in if they had one, but if they didn't, then they were used as soon as they came off high idle. Unless of course I was waiting for the heat to build up in the winter so it wasn't completely freezing when I got in.

OP
W

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
Take this morning for example, I let my mustang idle long enough to lower the top, and put my seatbelt on. Then I put it in 1st gear, and still idling fast at about 1000 rpm i didn't even touch the throttle, just eased the clutch out, gently pulled out of the hotel parking lot short shifting it at around 2000 rpm, and barely touching the throttle. We were going to Reno, from our hotel in Sparks, about 10 minutes drive to the east...after about 5 minutes from the hotel I drove it as I usually would, everything is warmed up, and lubricants flowing nice in the tranny and diff to, not just the engine. I've had more transmission and diff problems, than engine issues in my lifetime, so take it easy on everything now till its driven about 5 minutes.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have a start-up/warm up routine that's pretty simple. I get in & start the car, arrange all my crap (keys, wallet, phone, water or coffee (if I have it), fire up the a/c (or roll down the window) and back out of the garage. I wait in the drive for the garage door to fully close (I have seen them reverse because something crossed the beam) & fire up the Performance Pages on the Cat. Go pretty slow to the end of the street (only 4 houses) and out to the next street (another 6 houses). I go the limit (40 mph or so) to the main road. By then the cars are almost up to normal operating temp. I will ramp up to 60 on the main road, but refrain from putting the spurs to them till they are at full temp (204 on the Cat).

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've got a YT video showing an oil change analysis that was good to go on my meth injected supercharged 4Runner that gets once a year oil changes with just Penzoil Platinum 10W30 synthetic. People jump up and down telling me how the engine is going to be ruined, etc etc in the comments and I love to respond telling them I've owned it for right at 20 years and it's still going strong. They never respond after that. :unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Back in Denver I worked at a dealership and we were having 20 below weather and the diesels wouldn't start. Thing is it had to be pretty cold like that to have an issue. I have been in Michigan since 93 and the first winter Jan '94 I saw that. Haven't seen it since though

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Don't diesels run cool at idle...need to put a load on it to generate heat? Crazy...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I've got a YT video showing an oil change analysis that was good to go on my meth injected supercharged 4Runner that gets once a year oil changes with just Penzoil Platinum 10W30 synthetic. People jump up and down telling me how the engine is going to be ruined, etc etc in the comments and I love to respond telling them I've owned it for right at 20 years and it's still going strong. They never respond after that. :unsure:
Some people will never get past that 3,000 mile oil change they think they have to do it because they were taught that. I change mine once a year on my summer car. I do 10k+ miles a year on the same oil. Did that 3 straight years on a supercharger Mustang and when I went to forge the bottom end it looked like new inside. I credit a lot to that from using Amsoil. Could other oils perform the same, sure, but that is what I was using and still do

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
You’d receive hero status at BITOG site for that maintenance regime and longevity.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Ok.....who remembers this commercial????

You killed it.

Oil pump's like a heart.

Oil pan's like a liver.

Oil's like blood.

You're an engine killer.

Engine killer....engine killer....engine killer.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Ok.....who remembers this commercial????

You killed it.

Oil pump's like a heart.

Oil pan's like a liver.

Oil's like blood.

You're an engine killer.

1627512832696.png

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Oh yeah...well you sound made up.

Followed up by.....I know you are but what am I??

Further followed up by...

I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

So there.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
That commercial was either for oil or an oil filter, but I can't remember which one.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
this one is real though:LOL:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
The one I'm talking about had some greasy mechanics in a dirty garage and the guy is in there either due to a problem or to get his oil changed, and his engine is bad due to not changing the oil.

And the mechanic tells the guy that he should've changed the oil more often and then tells him:

You killed it.

Oil pump's like a heart.

Oil pan's like a liver.

Oil's like blood.

You're an engine killer.