Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hp tuners vs Diablosport

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Any thoughts? I'm not going to be tuning it so that's not an issue.

Just not sure which is the better way to go, if it really matters at all.

I did read that with Diablosport I could have a street tune and race tune and swap them with the push of a button..

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Ho tuners is a much better tuning platform.. Diablo sport is a PITA with handheld ..

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #3
Ho tuners is a much better tuning platform.. Diablo sport is a PITA with handheld ..

I'm assuming you mean because the diablosport is the handheld and hp Tuners is a laptop?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I'm assuming you mean because the diablosport is the handheld and hp Tuners is a laptop?
Yes .. I always hated loading the tunes in the handheld the going out to the car to load the tune and back and forth .. plus the data logging sucks with the Diablo sport too .. same thing as the tunes . Plus it can be temperamental some times getting the handheld to connect to the computer.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I like the hand helds.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Once your tunes are finalized...a handheld is somewhat more convenient than a laptop. I used to have an NGauge in the V and that was PERFECT.

I wish it worked for dodge flashing.

For the tuning aspect though? I've always used HP. It's what i'm used to.

Can't deny the success some tuners have had using DS. Some of the fastest cars in the nation use/used it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yes .. I always hated loading the tunes in the handheld the going out to the car to load the tune and back and forth .. plus the data logging sucks with the Diablo sport too .. same thing as the tunes . Plus it can be temperamental some times getting the handheld to connect to the computer.

I actually like that system better. Loading it in the house then putting it in the car. SCT would store 10 tunes in so if I needed to change it it was easy. I didn't have to worry about having my computer with me.

I'm using HP now and if I'm datalogging I will have the computer with me other then that I don't

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
HP

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I actually like that system better. Loading it in the house then putting it in the car. SCT would store 10 tunes in so if I needed to change it it was easy. I didn't have to worry about having my computer with me.

I'm using HP now and if I'm datalogging I will have the computer with me other then that I don't
I like looking at the laptop screen .. it gives me more information.. I have always fought with the connection of the handheld to the computer. It was always temperamental for me ..

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have never had a problem with plug and go. Have to be flexible and take your time. With any application is time consuming.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
HPTuners for me. I've used both. Diablo had a real opportunity to have something bad ass and kinda missed the boat with the strange setup they have. However the new Direct Connection stuff uses a Diablo tool I bet. Looks exactly the same. Good for the tuner that just wants to provide a canned tune and not allow any customization for conditions etc.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Raaa, raaa.

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
I have both. It's been a while but some things you could change in DS you couldn't with HP.

And visa versa..... so I always did a-la-cart. Both tuners would load each other's tunes.

Now I suppose it's about who can identify and change the most parameters correctly.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
HPTuners for me. I've used both. Diablo had a real opportunity to have something bad ass and kinda missed the boat with the strange setup they have. However the new Direct Connection stuff uses a Diablo tool I bet. Looks exactly the same. Good for the tuner that just wants to provide a canned tune and not allow any customization for conditions etc.
This can be said to be true with hp tuners as well. I think the template applicator feature is used a lot! Then it is remote locked so you still cannot change a lot of things depending on the tuner.
with that being said tho. Hp tuners dataloging has a lot of capabilities Diablo does not

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've never had a tuner lock my tune, if they did they'd be summarily fired LOL. I get it though, not everyone is willing to put in the time to understand how it all works and it's a safety thing in some cases.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I've never had a tuner lock my tune, if they did they'd be summarily fired LOL. I get it though, not everyone is willing to put in the time to understand how it all works and it's a safety thing in some cases.
On the eco boost page I asked to see some data logs. A tuner over there flipped out on me that I was trying to steal his tune…. He told me to pound sand…. You really wouldn’t like that guy 😂

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
On the eco boost page I asked to see some data logs. A tuner over there flipped out on me that I was trying to steal his tune…. He told me to pound sand…. You really wouldn’t like that guy
Oh those guys are everywhere...

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
From someone who used to use both behind the keyboard, HPtuners all the way.

From an end user argument that diablo is more user friendly, I argue, you need a computer to save the diablo tune to, then upload to the handheld then upload to the vehicle, then log, then upload log to computer and email to tuner. Repeat for subsequent revisions. With hptuners you realistically need a laptop, but of all the adults I know I cannot think of many that do not have, nor can afford a cheap laptop. With hptuners, open an email, open file, upload. Open scanner, log. Save log and email to tuner.

In the end, a custom tune is only as good as the person behind the keyboard making the changes. However, that being said, there are some things that are just not possible with diablo. One of my biggest complaints is there is no way to log VE in order to properly tune for a cam. You can take some fuel out of or put some in certain areas of the VE table and blend to get fairly close, but there is no way to log a correction chart to make proper changes.
The parameters for transmission tuning are much more complex in HPT allowing for a better overall transmission tune if you want much more than just line pressure and rpm changes.

Another great benefit of HPT (imo at least) is the end user can make minor (or major) changes if desired. With diablo you must first purchase CMR software which is fairly expensive (iirc I paid $1500 back in 2017) Hptuners might be slightly more expensive for an 8 speed vehicle between the MPVI2(2+) and credits to license the trans, but it can be used for as many vehicles as you're willing to purchase credits for

In the end, the best advice I can give, is decide who you want writing the tune(s), discuss with them. Even when I was tuning with diablo also, there were certain builds I did not like doing with diablo. Eventually myself (as well as several other tuners I've noticed) have gotten away from using a software we don't care for in order to provide a better service to my customers.

The person behind the keyboard is the number one thing affecting the quality of the tune. So defiantly see what they are more comfortable with and go that route

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@white1 you forgot to mention all the CAL updates Diablo usually requires, and the monkey wrenches that ensue as a result :rolleyes: