Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How many miles did your Hellcat have when you bought it?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Brand new, or with 660 miles?

I know that they consider cars that haven't been registered yet "new", but that doesn't roll the odometer back.

On that subject, on one of the car buying web sites they asked if the tires were new, used, or worn out.
Obviously I put down "used", since they can't be called new once mounted on a wheel.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Brand new, or with 660 miles?

I know that they consider cars that haven't been registered yet "new", but that doesn't roll the odometer back.
It was never titled. It was a dealer trade where they traded 2 cars for a customer so it had miles.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Here in Colorado, it's considered "used" after 250 miles even if never titled.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I like that. Keeps dealers from driving around and then selling what's essentially a used car as new.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I like that. Keeps dealers from driving around and then selling what's essentially a used car as new.
And I got a great deal on a car that I still own 4 years later which is a record for me.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm also at four years with the 'Cat, which isn't a record, but longer than usual lately.
We bought and sold about 10 vehicles in the past year.

Anyway, my luck with dealer trades hasn't been great. The 'Cat was one, and after driving 450 miles with the trade to my dealer, then another 100 or so with the dealer's trade to where the 'Cat was, it turned out that it no longer had 16 miles on it, but 50.
So much for paying new price to get to break it in correctly.

The second one was also a Challenger, the GT AWD, which was supposed to be transported from one dealer to the selling one. Well, when it arrived here it had 60 some miles extra on it.

Turns out that their "transport" was driving it. I don't think I'll ever trust a dealer trade again, unless it's a used vehicle and the miles don't really matter anymore.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Okay, now I'm curious. Why is low mileage a hard sell?

Been looking at trading in my Challenger GT AWD, but it seems like the dealers are really low balling me. I kind of suspect that they don't like the low mileage (788) and think there's something wrong with it.
On the Contrary, dealers like to sell low mileage used cars because they can treat them almost as a new car in the current market.

For your gt awd, try carmax,carvana,givemethevin, etc etc
They should give you much much better numbers than dealers will.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Well, when it arrived here it had 60 some miles extra on it.
My only worry with extra miles on a brand new car is them abusing it, highly unlikely on a challenger gt. Now on a hellcat, trx, trackhawk, etc etc it would be a completely different story.

I guess it's really the principle though, if they told you one thing and did something else it would be wrong on their part.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
On the Contrary, dealers like to sell low mileage used cars because they can treat them almost as a new car in the current market.

For your gt awd, try carmax,carvana,givemethevin, etc etc
They should give you much much better numbers than dealers will.
Oddly enough, the normal car buying places have come back with really low numbers. CarGurus offered the most, a little bit over Vroom, at $36,825. Carvana worst, at $32,847.

Dealers have been about $34K to $36K. Meanwhile, NADA and KBB feels is should be about $38.5K. And this on a '21 that stickered at $42,880, with 789 miles on it.

I'll know today if a dealer in Iowa indeed agrees with NADA, in which case I'll be loading up the trailer and taking a road trip. If so, it'll cost me about $1,000 in fuel, but would still save thousands.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My only worry with extra miles on a brand new car is them abusing it, highly unlikely on a challenger gt. Now on a hellcat, trx, trackhawk, etc etc it would be a completely different story.

I guess it's really the principle though, if they told you one thing and did something else it would be wrong on their part.
With the GT, they simply drove it instead of transporting it. Not the end of the world since it's a basic V6, but still.

The 'Cat was a different story. I could tell from the rear tires that the extra 34 miles were not easy ones.
My dealer was not happy when I called him and he offered to reverse the whole deal. It had already been a long day, so miffed as I was, I didn't feel like loading up the dealer trade Jeep again, head south and retrieve my '65 Cadillac, then drive 450 miles home. For nothing.

Same dealer, Trackhawk at four miles, TRX at eight (as I recall). No extra driving at all on their part. Instead, I get handed a credit card and get to go fill the tank up myself. Perfect!