Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

High frequency vibration in steering wheel

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Had to drop the wife’s 2021 Durango R/T Blacktop Edition off at the dealership today. It only has 4200 miles on it.

I noted after driving it this weekend that after parking it in the garage I smelled burning rubber. I left it parked a few days because I could not see anything.

I went to fill it up today and noted a high frequency vibration in the steering wheel with the vehicle running and in park. There was not unusual sounds at the time. I took the vehicle and dropped it off at the dealership to see what the heck is going on and get the Uconnect software update I was notified about.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

More to follow.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Subscribed

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
That sucks. Is that the 5.7 ?

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT Hellcat
Had to drop the wife’s 2021 Durango R/T Blacktop Edition off at the dealership today. It only has 4200 miles on it.

I noted after driving it this weekend that after parking it in the garage I smelled burning rubber. I left it parked a few days because I could not see anything.

I went to fill it up today and noted a high frequency vibration in the steering wheel with the vehicle running and in park. There was not unusual sounds at the time. I took the vehicle and dropped it off at the dealership to see what the heck is going on and get the Uconnect software update I was notified about.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

More to follow.
Hi did you ever get the vibration figured out? I’m having the the same very high frequency vibration about the same mileage, minus the burning rubber smell. Thanks

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Are both of those electric steering?

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Last edited:
OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Hi did you ever get the vibration figured out? I’m having the the same very high frequency vibration about the same mileage, minus the burning rubber smell. Thanks
Sorry been busy. The vibration was a belt had some weird damage and was replaced. The smell was, we purchased the vehicle without the tow package. Once we decided to move we knew we would need to tow a trailer. I purchased the complete Mopar tow package and had it installed at the dealership. Apparently the electrical harness that runs from the fuse box under the hood to the rear bumper was making contact near the exhaust manifold and the protective cover had gotten hot. They replaced a section of the cover and repositioned the cable and it's good to go.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Durango SRT Hellcat
Sorry been busy. The vibration was a belt had some weird damage and was replaced. The smell was, we purchased the vehicle without the tow package. Once we decided to move we knew we would need to tow a trailer. I purchased the complete Mopar tow package and had it installed at the dealership. Apparently the electrical harness that runs from the fuse box under the hood to the rear bumper was making contact near the exhaust manifold and the protective cover had gotten hot. They replaced a section of the cover and repositioned the cable and it's good to go.
Hey thanks for the reply, at least a belt issue is better than what I thought, mine vibrates even when parked with engine running, can feel it mostly in steering wheel but also through my foot touching gas pedal, all probably started around 4,000 miles, this in on a 21 Durango Hellcat. High frequency like how your hand vibrates after using a gas weed whacker if you drive long enough. Thanks again!

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Hey thanks for the reply, at least a belt issue is better than what I thought, mine vibrates even when parked with engine running, can feel it mostly in steering wheel but also through my foot touching gas pedal, all probably started around 4,000 miles, this in on a 21 Durango Hellcat. High frequency like how your hand vibrates after using a gas weed whacker if you drive long enough. Thanks again!
Better get it checked out. That’s not good.