Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat trans learn after tune

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
So this is really my first gas engine I’ve messed with tuning. I know in the diesel trucks you do not change tunes and then go and floor the truck. It breaks transmissions really fast.
I see hp tuners has a fast trans learn mode you can activate.
With that being said if I go to the track and play around with a few changes Is it going to hurt the trans any worst than if it had learned?
Maybe I’m just worrying to much.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Don't think so. You'll SEE A LOT of trand tables. They get called for various driver types, pretty complicated actually. I set my shift pressures all the same at full tilt so it doesn't matter. Most tuners do the same.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #3
Don't think so. You'll SEE A LOT of trand tables. They get called for various driver types, pretty complicated actually. I set my shift pressures all the same at full tilt so it doesn't matter. Most tuners do the same.
Thanks! It seemed like a lot of people are making changes at the track so I was hoping it wouldn’t be to big of a deal. I’ve been googling trying to find the answer.
I don’t come up with much on these cars unless it is on the hp tuners forum.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yep most don't dig in to them. The trans is 10x compared to engine in complexity.

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
When you flash the TCM and clear adaptives, it does not clear certain learned parameters related to clutch operation. I recommend not initiating either of the fast or slow transmission relearn functions unless you're experiencing shift quality issues that can't be explained by either changes (or lake thereof) made in the TCM tune, mods (increased power) or mechanical wear (e.g. burned clutches).

It also not as simple as clicking the button to achieve the intended effect. Before you initiate the procedure, you're also supposed to drive it after it's warmed up and engage each gear at least twice before initiating the relearn. The relearn procedure can take 5-15 minutes to complete and can fail so even if you do decide to do it, it shouldn't be done while you're at the track.