Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Ford F550 6.7 Powerstroke oil leak

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Figured I would seek advice here. Purchased our 2014 Ford F550 6.7 powerstoke diesel motorhome in 2014. Truck has a manufacturer's warranty of 5 years/60,000 miles.

Two years in noticed a slight oil leak which turned out to be an upper oil pan leak which was repaired under warranty. Two more years go by and another upper oil pan leak shows up again...repaired under warranty in August 2019.

Yesterday, changing oil and fuel filters I noticed moist oil again in the very same spot as the prior two oil leaks...so I say fu@#k.

Now out of warranty and past 1 year/12,000 (which I believe is repair warranty). Do I have any standing as this repair has failed again? Out of warranty for sure, but this oil pan has not been right since day 1. Not a daily driver and only has 35,000 miles.

Planning on calling the shop (don't really like them by the way) and speaking with the shop manager to see what can be done as I'm frustrated by this.

I might be out of luck, but upper oil pan was never installed correctly from the factory nor repaired correctly twice since.

Any ideas or am I missing something?

Appreciate any advice.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I think if you can show a pattern like that it would be covered. But you’d have to really fight for it. Not sure how far you want to take it.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I think if you can show a pattern like that it would be covered. But you’d have to really fight for it. Not sure how far you want to take it.
Thanks...that was my thought as well. Will check with shop and try to contact Ford directly as a last resort. Some sort of surface defect on the oil pan as it isn't a wear item and should develop a leak every 2-2.5 years. Not a normal phenomenon. Will keep thread updated.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks...that was my thought as well. Will check with shop and try to contact Ford directly as a last resort. Some sort of surface defect on the oil pan as it isn't a wear item and should develop a leak every 2-2.5 years. Not a normal phenomenon. Will keep thread updated.

I can't quote the law or circumstances, but I believe that there is a basis for issues like this that extend coverage beyond the end of the warranty.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
There is so much I could add here, Hellcatcfp.
But I'll be nice and not do it.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Even outside of the vehicle warranty, Ford warranties their repairs and their parts (sometimes). For example on my 6:7 I had the charge pipe replaced by Ford and it came with a warranty on the part and labor.
Do you know if they put a plastic oil pan on it or the upgraded metal one? If it’s plastic, it’s going to leak, time for an upgrade.
If it’s metal, I’d try to call them out on their labor and see if they will R&R it for you.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Even outside of the vehicle warranty, Ford warranties their repairs and their parts (sometimes). For example on my 6:7 I had the charge pipe replaced by Ford and it came with a warranty on the part and labor.
Do you know if they put a plastic oil pan on it or the upgraded metal one? If it’s plastic, it’s going to leak, time for an upgrade.
If it’s metal, I’d try to call them out on their labor and see if they will R&R it for you.
I have a metal lower oil pan...thankfully not the plastic one. I went out and cleaned the surface real well and didn't see oil in the other spots...so hoping road grime? Will drive it on our trip and see what it does. Hoping I jumped the gun on it leaking again.

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Just to clarify...the upper oil pan requires the transmission, lower oil pan, etc. to all come out. Pain in the butt repair from what I've heard.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Just to clarify...the upper oil pan requires the transmission, lower oil pan, etc. to all come out. Pain in the butt repair from what I've heard.
Its an absolute nightmare if you don’t have a good place to do the job.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm proud of myself.
(For not commenting).

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
I'm proud of myself.
(For not commenting).
Jimmy, you going for a good person of the month award this month? 😂

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well, I am a bit sleep deprived. Maybe that's why I'm so mellow.

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Well, I am a bit sleep deprived. Maybe that's why I'm so mellow.
Im cranky when I’m sleep deprived. And always starving.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/topic/5757-2014-oil-pans-starting-to-leak/

https://dieseliq.com/5-most-common-ford-67l-powerstroke-diesel-engine-problems/

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-technology/stop-the-drip-early-ford-6-7l-oil-pan-upgrade/

I'm pretty sure I saw you on another forum with a similar name asking about this in 2015.
Also you probably checked out the recall link https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/

Be that Guy or be like how my husband was and leave it up to your wife, just give her the ammo needed "Squeaky Wheel gets the Oil" ;)

Good luck!
Linda :)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
From what I read, and then speculated at, was that they aren't waiting for, or getting all of the oil off of the flange before putting the pan back on.

That would take too much time for a service center, but having an oil free surface for the silicone would be critical for a leak free seal.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Are you taking it to a regular Ford dealer or a heavy truck shop?

OP
Hellcatcfp

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA