Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

E85 External Fuel Filter

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
For you guys running E85. Do you really need the external fuel filter with the dual pump setup? I've heard factory flex-fuel vehicles don't have them.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I have one, purchased with a Tapped system, have had the same question, haven’t installed it yet but probably will before spring since the car is up in the air with engine and trans out.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
My current redeye and previous hellcat both daily driven on e85. No external filter on either

OP
Grape Ape

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
My current redeye and previous hellcat both daily driven on e85. No external filter on either
Yeah. I'm thinking it's not that big of a deal. It seems like a way for them to con you out of more money by saying the fuel needs filtering.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Yeah. I'm thinking it's not that big of a deal. It seems like a way for them to con you out of more money by saying the fuel needs filtering.
Yea, at $400 the filter assembly wasn’t cheap, I mine as well use it instead of letting it collect dust. My concern with using it was adding a restriction to the fuel delivery system. I’m already tapping out in cold weather and on the hunt for a fix without going BAP or triple pump. I’ve been on a path to improvement by removing restrictions in the stock delivery lines and don’t want to add a possible negative item back into the mix. That’s been my main hang up in installing mine.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@Speedy! put that nice duel fuel pump kit on his that came with the filter but he didn't install it.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Nope, that filter is in the bottom drawer of my toolbox collecting dust. I wish the dual pump system had it as an option instead of included, I'd have skipped it and saved the bucks.

I get my E85 exclusively from Speedway here in town. I've checked 4 different stations and the E85 is always clear as water, so I've never seen a reason to install it, and worry it's an added restriction.

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
Nope, that filter is in the bottom drawer of my toolbox collecting dust. I wish the dual pump system had it as an option instead of included, I'd have skipped it and saved the bucks.

I get my E85 exclusively from Speedway here in town. I've checked 4 different stations and the E85 is always clear as water, so I've never seen a reason to install it, and worry it's an added restriction.
I believe the tapped dual pump setup does have the filter as an option. When I ordered my pump setup I noticed you can take the filter off the order and save $400. I probably should have left it off, but oh well

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Maybe they've updated that. Wasn't an option when I ordered.

OP
Grape Ape

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
I believe the tapped dual pump setup does have the filter as an option. When I ordered my pump setup I noticed you can take the filter off the order and save $400. I probably should have left it off, but oh well
This is why I was asking.