Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Catch Can; how is yours?

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Passenger side only, 6.4L.
Same here. But, 6.2.
You've heard of the "forbidden riff" that you NEVER play in a guitar store (Stairway to Heaven)?
Well, the same goes about catch cans on car forums.......
Just my own mental issue..

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Same here. But, 6.2.
You've heard of the "forbidden riff" that you NEVER play in a guitar store (Stairway to Heaven)?
Well, the same goes about catch cans on car forums.......
Just my own mental issue..

If I knew how to play, I'd be THAT guy that would totally play that, and a couple of other riffs too.

;)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Smoke on the Water comes to mind

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Smoke on the Water comes to mind
I was thinking of starting a thread about good songs that you can no longer stand because you’ve heard them so many times. Those two would have been my starters.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
I would think a catch-can would help extend the life of the cats. :coffee::unsure:
If it doesn't, would it be a catch-can't?:unsure:

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
I was thinking of starting a thread about good songs that you can no longer stand because you’ve heard them so many times. Those two would have been my starters.
Radar Love is another.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Major Tom...ugh

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
No other forum can go as far OT as this one. :LOL:

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Recently switched from my JLT to a fender mount EBR. Got it for a great price and have heard nothing but good things about them. Too early to tell if it’s taking more oil out of the system however it’s internals are much more sophisticated than the JLT. It also has the one way valve. Looks to be a bit more of a pita to empty but I like that it’s out of the way.
0596A809-189B-45C4-A56F-89C2DF8E093B.jpeg FCFAA1DF-415B-4DE1-AE21-899212D494AD.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Recently switched from my JLT to a fender mount EBR. Got it for a great price and have heard nothing but good things about them. Too early to tell if it’s taking more oil out of the system however it’s internals are much more sophisticated than the JLT. It also has the one way valve. Looks to be a bit more of a pita to empty but I like that it’s out of the way.
View attachment 47761 View attachment 47763

One benefit to that location is not only is the can going to be cooler, but with the longer hose length, the oil vapor will also be cooler, all of which means it will condense and collect better.

(Or at least that's my theory)

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
View attachment 47761 View attachment 47763
Looks good. My concern about fender mounts is the routing of the hoses would seem to create a P-trap. Since no one has reported any problems, it must not be an issue.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
One benefit to that location is not only is the can going to be cooler, but with the longer hose length, the oil vapor will also be cooler, all of which means it will condense and collect better.

(Or at least that's my theory)
Looks good. My concern about fender mounts is the routing of the hoses would seem to create a P-trap. Since no one has reported any problems, it must not be an issue.
Was thinking the same. My nephew has one on his Vette that's Procharged (can't recall the name but it's not the names we see commonly on the Mopars). It's located @same distance as the Mopar fender mounted ones and he says in winter when he drains it he gets mostly water. In summer he gets none. So yes, there has to be a condensation/cooling factor involved. And to @jroyk 's point there could be puddling in the lines imho.
I also remember when I put the Magnuson on my '09 SRT it came with a cowl mount catch can as part of the kit. When you would pop it open it was a 'frothy' kinda gray mess looking crap. Again condensed water mixed with oil. Went to the front motor mount and every time it was drained it looked clean like it came fresh out of the quart.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Was thinking the same. My nephew has one on his Vette that's Procharged (can't recall the name but it's not the names we see commonly on the Mopars). It's located @same distance as the Mopar fender mounted ones and he says in winter when he drains it he gets mostly water. In summer he gets none. So yes, there has to be a condensation/cooling factor involved. And to @jroyk 's point there could be puddling in the lines imho.
I also remember when I put the Magnuson on my '09 SRT it came with a cowl mount catch can as part of the kit. When you would pop it open it was a 'frothy' kinda gray mess looking crap. Again condensed water mixed with oil. Went to the front motor mount and every time it was drained it looked clean like it came fresh out of the quart.
The ProCharger on my 5.3L Silverado acts the same way, but the added horsepower is great for towing 538 Hp 480 Tq. I can't imagine what the sludge would do to the motor, if left unattended and was allowed to accumulate and ingested by the motor. The down falls of having direct injection is the coking on the intake valves. I have a Tracy Lewis catch can remotely mounted with cool air passing over it. I drain every thousand miles and get a close to a pint of that sludge in the winter and cooler months.

Last edited: