Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Car went dead on the road after washing engine for the first time in six years.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
No water got into the intake. I covered that up. It just completely came to no power and the car shut off. I drifted it into a bicycle lane and put the emergency blinkers on. Hopefully a pissed off bicyclist will not take out my car. :)
I am having it towed to my hellcat mechanic which works at Chrysler. He thinks I probably wet a fuse or two as the black box had a broken tab on it. I cannot think of anything else I might of done. Does that sound about right?
No cranking what so ever. But the radio and other things such as the emergency blinkers are aok.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Pressure washed? Maybe a wet PCM. Good to dry everything with a hot air blower before starting.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #3
Could be. Naaa. Pressure from my hose. But it could be as I did wet the cowl. But you would think in a heavy rain storm the pcm would also get wet.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Why in the world did your engine need to be washed?[???:)]

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #5
It was dirty. :)

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
how old is the battery?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Battery is in the trunk. H/C. I wash my engine 3 times a week cause it gets dirty and I show case my engine and boxes. I have it all powder coated. It is sealed up,,,but a piece of electrical tape or craked fuse box is all it takes. I put mine thru the NASCAR auto brushless car wash and blow dry it afterwards. High pressure air hose, chemical guys purple towel for the engine and blue for the interior. Wheel prep before hand with chemical guys interior exterior preps. Takes a good 1.5 hours to have an auto car wash do it's thing. Still alot of work. They have matt beaters and washers on sight along with 2 types of vacums. They also spray prep the car with symonize wax and sealant. Pay on a monthly basis. I used to cover up the intake but if you just turn the engine off,,, it can take what little moisture gets into the filter,,, plus I blow if off real good.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
There are some guys I know who wash "professionally" and they cover all the electronics with trash sacks and such when they're doing the engine bay. I've never had anything defeat the basic level of water resistance built into the car by the factory but their are plenty of horror stories out there of folks who did. If I do the engine, I usually wet it, hit it with German motorcycle cleaner, let it sit for awhile, and then hose it off. Had old school guys come by and ask if I'd taken a toothbrush to the car. Gives me a chance to be in moto dealerships again, too. Ha.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #9
I think I blew a fuse. The black fuse box under the hood has one tab that is broken. Funny thing I was just cruising down the road for three miles and then nothing. Lucky I was able to get over to the right bike lane. My mechanic has been swamped. He will get to it on Monday. Just bought a new 2022 all wheel drive Tucson to get around town. They are on their way from Phoenix to Tucson. Free delivery. From over 1K rwhp to 187 or so. LOL. The wife likes smaller vehicles.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Youve must be careful of these things. I had the paint shop drentch the engine compartment numerous times to make sure it was sealed,,,,but all it takes is]]]]]] Yepper that. The worst I have had is a plastic bag over the K & N CAI and it couldn't breathe and it sucked the air filter inside out. Duuu,,, idiot. Got's to breathe sum how and as much fuel it burns. It needs lots of air. Filter is $50 a whack. But to this date I check over the engine compartment with a tooth brush before it gets soaked. I tooked the metal plate off the air intake above the CAI to let it breathe better.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #11
He just texted me. PCM dead. Lucky I have a backup at home that is unlocked.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #12
Did not know water can fry the pcm. Maybe between the connectors and the pcm? Who knows.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
There are some guys I know who wash "professionally" and they cover all the electronics with trash sacks and such when they're doing the engine bay. I've never had anything defeat the basic level of water resistance built into the car by the factory but their are plenty of horror stories out there of folks who did. If I do the engine, I usually wet it, hit it with German motorcycle cleaner, let it sit for awhile, and then hose it off. Had old school guys come by and ask if I'd taken a toothbrush to the car. Gives me a chance to be in moto dealerships again, too. Ha.
Ahh, P21S. Great stuff.

https://www.p21s.com/portfolio/high-performance-total-auto-wash/

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Did not know water can fry the pcm. Maybe between the connectors and the pcm? Who knows.
The PCM and the connectors are pretty well sealed. I'm surprised it came back PCM. You should be able to shoot your garden hose at PCM and connections and not have a problem. It's not in a sealed box inside the interior of the car. It's in the engine compartment and exposed to extreme temps and weather 24/7 365 a year. That's a total coincidence I would think.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Use the S100 on the Harley. Great stuff

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
No way the PCM should get fried. Water can not back up that far to short out the board. Thank god you have another,, But,, that is not the solution. You, my friend, have a water in tru sion problem. Best way is to answer to a pro, but a pressurization test or smoke and or both is a start. I started off by doing this with the Harleys and riding a 55 Pan Head had to use a heavy degreaser and lots of high pressure water spray. Things have to be tight and back in 55, before I waz born, it waz all loose and open elect systems, but simple. Back then most im poe tenant the distributor. Cover up with a freezer bag or equivalent. Water can save your life but make you have a bad day. No moe distributor but an open PCM,, no way. Your car is not water friendly,, ass er you know now.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I think there is a rubber weather tight seal on the connections, make sure it's there.
Could have come off when pcm swap was done ?

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country