Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bypass damper in Hellcats

The Max

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toms River
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I always thought any forced induction system whether it's Supercharging, Turbocharging is dependent on the RPM of the motor for boost.

Higher the RPM more boost and a wastegate or whatever mechanism would relieve the pressure in the motor so as not to overboost the motor whether accelerating or decelerating.

In my Hellcat, put the transmission in manual and my boost shoots up quickly, not really RPM dependent and just stays at a certain amount.

So I'm asking the Gurus on this site to help me understand what is happening. In a stock Hellcat is the Bypass Damper actually limiting overall boost and without the damper would the motor put out more boost?

Is this strictly a computer controlled process and not much we can do about the Boost?

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
It’s the nature of a positive displacement style blower. They generally generate the same boost over a wide rpm range. The bypass isn’t affecting it. At low load operation, it has to open and release all that boost when idle, cruising or part throttle.