Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Barton Shifter mini review

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
As a newer owner of a Hellcat, but not new to the car forums, I like to surf around the forums looking for mods that can upgrade parts that the factory did not deliver on, usually my first upgrade is the audio system, but with this Hellcat we get a decent off the shelf system, and while I want to upgrade it very badly, I found so many positive reviews about the Barton Shifter, like endless reviews, from not only this forum but the other crappy Hellcat forum and some Challenger forums.

After a long discussion with the boss, the misses, she looked up the reviews and details and said let's do this.

Shifter arrived last week, installed last weekend and have been driving on it for a week now.

Wow (in a positive tone) is all that can be said. This shifter is a must buy, it makes the shifting and driving that much better. Shorter and smoother throws, going from 2nd to 3rd is a 100% different feel in a wicked insanely good way.

Install was not hard at all, including prep and clean-up, entire install took us three hours, with the hardest part being this clip-pin keeping the shifter's forks attached to the transmission case. I must have dropped it half a dozen times, but thankfully it just falls under the car so it's easy to retrieve.

Some people will say it can be done quicker, but I take my time double and triple checking everything so I do not break a little thing, like a clip or harness, or scuff up the interior while removing the console and related parts.

The only cons are a slight noise, like a whooshing sound that is noticeable, but also anticipated after reading all the reviews. The noise is not loud, and if you crack the window that noise overtakes it, or if you have the radio on, you don't hear the noise. You only hear it when music is off and windows are shut. So I'm thinking about adding some Dynamat, but do plan to call Barton to see if they recommend anything.

Other cons, or more of a disappointment, was that the Shifter itself arrives with no parts list, and no install instructions. Barton has install instructions for a 2012 Challenger which I highly recommend not using, and rather using this Youtube combined with your common sense. Having a Wrangler that I do a bunch of work to, the level of instructions and parts list are amazing, like when I installed my bumpers, rock guards, tire holder and hardtop, the vendor instructions were amazing so I expected more from Barton than a box of parts.

IMG_20190915_124103.jpg

IMG_20190921_150220.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
Had a great call today with Dave senior from Barton. He was friendly and helpful, and said the noise I hear is common and they have a piece of foam they can send to help. I told him I was going to figit with the shifter to see if I could drown out more sound and if I needed the foam I would be back in touch.

Real solid customer service. Also happy to hear they are getting into the Wrangler scene and will be fabricating parts for the JK. I have a TJ so not compatible with me, but glad to hear they are enthusiasts of Wranglers and muscle cars. My kind of company.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Good to hear. My next move.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Should have mine in a week or so. Ordered it right after I ordered the car. The stock shifter is actually pretty good - so I hope this is a night and day difference.

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Should have mine in a week or so. Ordered it right after I ordered the car. The stock shifter is actually pretty good - so I hope this is a night and day difference.
It sure is, my wife and I can both confirm that, great functional investment.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Love mine, easy install:
DDE119E5-15F6-4BBD-8916-2FE2A8610114.jpeg

68GoldRunner

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elko
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Another vote for the Barton shifter. I didn’t mind the stock sticker that much before the Barton. Once I put in the Barton there was no looking back. Don’t forget the clutch delay valve removal.
69553DC3-6A14-47D9-87BE-5A6B79722B14.jpeg

OP
S

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Updating my Barton mini review as I added a couple items. I had a custom shift boot made, this was before Redline offered anything, and added a heavy weight shift knob to match and add weight to throw.

I searched high and low for a heavy weight knob, most forum members purchase a speed dawg knob, so when I spoke with speed dawg they said they do not have a heavy weight knob.

Now we have the heavy weight knob, and it is a much smoother shift. Anyone with a Barton should look into their product offering at Raceseng. Cough cough @Old Mopar Guy

https://www.raceseng.com/

IMG_20200820_125323.jpg IMG_20200820_113159.jpg Screenshot_20200825-183519.jpg