Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Automotive internet forums. Real world vs distorted reality?

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I've participated in this discussion on various other forums, so it's always a neat perspective to hear other opinions.

The main idea is that forums don't reflect mass ownership of our go fast cars & trucks. Most people who buy are NOT auto enthusiasts. My guess is that less than 10% of buyers(especially new) are gearheads and maybe half of them are on the forums. Those who really participate. Not hit-n-run posters.

In my 20 years on various forums I've never once ran into a car owner who was on that cars associated forum(s). In fact most had never even knew such a thing existed. 😂

Most people will not ever track their car. Ever. Drag strip or road course. Most do not modify their car in any way except maybe a cosmetic such as window tint and floor mats. Most do not take their cars to car shows. As a show participant or a spectator.

I think internet forums kinda replaced the old fashioned car clubs. The deeper you get into it, the more real world it can be for you in a singular sense. Actual owners posting a wealth of knowledge and information that can really help you in a technical sense or guide you in your quest for your ride to go faster or handle better, based on what other people are doing.

So, I think it's real world but with a filter. The gearheads who buy and participate on forums and track cars are the minority. We are those people. At times a very loud vocal minority. 🍻

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've met 4 members of forums, made appointments, joined them for car shows, lunches, and just playing around with the cars.
One was a Demon owner (ended up buying my wheels from him (how I was connected with Bismarck @TRIUMPH Forged Wheels who repainted/repaired and pretty much made them jewelry.
One, he is getting 1000 RWHP and has started racing his.
One, connected with on vacation, who has a beautiful 15 HC, is here.
Another, bumped into him a couple times.
Was at the other place, and really, happy they hosed it up, as I was able to find this place.
Was going to track my 16 before it was totaled, only really needed the DS loop.
Not tracking my 19.
Both were daily drivers.
Only other forum I was involved in (6-7 years ago was a CC forum).

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I've met several members of the forum in person and hung out at the track with them. Nice people.
Years ago in my area, we had several of the old school drive-in restaurants, and that was the place people met to hang out and street race. They started closing down in the early 90's and the last one closed in the late 2000's. I think the demise of places like that lead to the actual demise of the local camaraderie that took place in our hobby. Back then if you showed up to one of these places talking smack, you got called out on it, and you had to put up or shut up on the street. The BS'ers were well known to everyone, as were the really fast people. There are no places like that in my area now. We have car shows and such throughout the year, but it's not the same.
When I first got stationed in SoCal in '84, there was a chain of these drive-in restaurants named "Angelo's" and every gear head on my base and in the area knew about them. The one in Anaheim on State College got the biggest turnout in the area on the first Friday of the month. That was the big event at Angelo's every month. If you weren't on their lot by 5 pm, you weren't getting a spot. There would be cars parked all up and down State College Blvd for blocks in either direction, and the shopping center parking lot down the street would be packed. It was amazing.
I stopped by there around 2009 and was surprised that it was still there, but the first Friday event was long gone. When I asked several people working at the place if that event still occurred, they said they had no idea what I was talking about. How sad is that considering that the most recent batch of muscle cars had started their resurgence by then.
So now, we have these forums.......

Last edited:

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I’m the people you described in the second group, non gear head, non mod people lol. No car shows for me. Not interested really. I am in the car business and so am interested in a lot of the hows and whys, but i’m not racing or modding for my own reasons. Happy to read about it here though. Just knowing what my car is capable of is enough for me.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have met several Forum members locally (car shows, track and dinner guests) and nationally (I travel a lot). I have become good friends with some! Every member I have met is real, and the real physical conversation was not that much different than what we talk about on line. I wish I could get out to more events, but my physical location makes us trailer or drive many states away. Plus we have potentially nasty roads to drive just to get to the dry and warm!

I agree, most of the frequent posting members are not bashful, have some great knowledge and are of a small percentage of overall ownership. Also, I believe lots of people read the Forums than regularly post for info.

I have learned many things and look forward to learning many things everyday when I read things on here. When I have knowledge to share, I do that too. I have even met some of our vendors in person as others have. I have seen posts of special deals that have saved me money and know just who to call when I want to flagrantly void my warranty for quicker and faster [cheers]

Member ID
Reactions
City
K
State
IA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
I'ld put myself in the second group.......I just like things that go fast. I have learned a lot though, by reading on these forums. Lots of good info for just daily driving and care of my cat. If I think something isn't right with my cat I can usually find the answer here. Have also purchased a nice pair of OEM wheels and tires for my widebody from a member on the "other forum". Nice guy and a great buy.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I was/am a socially active forum user. I started out on online communities before VBBs kicked off using email mailing lists for GM G-bodies - then it took off from there with the various G-body, Malibu, Monte Carlo and Turbo Buick forums. Met lots of folks and did lots of racing and business through them. Then I got hooked up with a sport compact site in Michigan as the token Canuck, became a moderator, and made multiple trips down to metro Detroit for events/racing. Still have some life-long friends from those days. And of course I have my local autocross racing club which I will be re-engaging with this year using the Hellkitty.

I am most definitely a hands-on guy with many projects on going. The HC just gives me the ability not to sweat the normal pre-race/pre-road trip prep that traditionally comes with racing/road tripping my other projects. Just get it in and go, and back home in time for dinner (any issues are Dodge's problem) - that is worth the cost of entry.

But, yes - for the most part the typical late-model owner is completely unrelatable, as my expecations and appreciation for the hobby are so very deep. That said I have met up with a few of the local HC owners last Fall at the drags and expect to continue the trend this year. Good chaps out using their cars.

71SixPack

Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
CO
Country
United States
Interesting discussions. I was on a off-road/4x4/Jeeping forum for many years. It was a great place to meet folks, share tech info, sell,or buy parts, organize trail runs and just generally BS. I knew several forum members personally. Almost all members modified their rigs going through several stages from mild to extreme. Wheel it, break it, upgrade it, repeat. Cubic $$. Sometime after around 2014 the forum slowly started to fade. I haven’t posted there in 4 or 5 years. I still check it every once in a while - almost zero action. Seems most members lost interest, moved on with life or joined Fake Book groups.
Regarding this forum, for now I’m squarely in the second camp. Too much initial $ spent on the WBRE to be tempted into the search for more HP......although that 840 HP button IS something to consider.
I joined the “other” forum HC just before it changed. I’m hoping this forum is around for many years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It was from a forum that ChallengerFest was born so I've met 100s

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
20ish years of automotive forums. I’ve met good friends, found a new career. When the car goes out of production, the forum typically dies.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
People keep claiming FB is killing the online forum. I just can't do FB. Number one it's FB, number two it seems like things disappear in about 5 minutes never to be found again. Forums are like a data base of usually great info from enthusiasts that's searchable, archiveable, etc.

REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
People keep claiming FB is killing the online forum. I just can't do FB. Number one it's FB, number two it seems like things disappear in about 5 minutes never to be found again. Forums are like a data base of usually great info from enthusiasts that's searchable, archiveable, etc.
My exact feelings about FB groups.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
FB is good to attract a lot of local people and get organized for meets and car shows and doing stuff with people that are close by but IMO they suck at anything and everything forums like this provide. I think As long as there are car guys/girls places like this will exist.

The only thing Im not sure of is if places like this have SAVED me $$ by preventing me from doing stupid shit that wont work, or COST me $$$ because 'holy shit thats cool and I never thought of doing that" I tell myself its the former. :)

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
FB is good to attract a lot of local people and get organized for meets and car shows and doing stuff with people that are close by but IMO they suck at anything and everything forums like this provide. I think As long as there are car guys/girls places like this will exist.

The only thing Im not sure of is if places like this have SAVED me $$ by preventing me from doing stupid shit that wont work, or COST me $$$ because 'holy shit thats cool and I never thought of doing that" I tell myself its the former. :)
Cost you/me money because "Oooh! That is freaking sweet/beautiful, got to get it"!!
:p

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
I've been on many forums over the years starting with Mustang forums, local import and car audio forums. Most recently Jeep and Hellcat. To one of @Purerock105 's original points, the super people I met, went on runs, car shows or just drank beers with, represent only a very small portion of the masses who also purchased our similar or same exact vehicles. For every ridiculous Jeep build, there are 1,000 or may more left stock or have a simple bolt-ons.

I am an avid reader of this forum.. don't post much technically because, well.. I have a pretty stock car with little plans on making changes. (on the fence about a trade in..)

I was fortunate enough to participate in a track rental with members of this forum and had a blast. Super, like minded people just having fun.

To me, online forums are great places for like minded folks to share, learn, meet and overall shoot the shit.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've met several of you, and everyone has been this weird retro-experience into the Tron world, bytes and bits falling out of your ears, leaking electrons all over the place. Very freaky...

;)

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I am so thankful for forums like this. Over the years I've benefited greatly from them. My automotive skills are not impressive but I am the type that wants to understand the machine and learn ever more about them. Forums are an excellent tool for me to explore that.

I've been able to repair and modify many things on my vehicles that without the help of forums I never would have attempted. I wonder how much money forums have saved me, I bet its a lot. On the other hand, they have cost me too, plenty of instances of "Wow, that looks like something I need..."

If I have an issue that I don't want to or can't tackle myself, forum information is very valuable as I can take the vehicle in to a mechanic in an informed state.

To those that take the time to post useful info and guides I thank you!

I've always been more of a lurker but this particular forum has a good feel. Perhaps because it is youthful, active and growing. Lets hope it continues to be. (bet we hit the 50k post count soon!)

One of the appeals to me to have a vehicle like the Hellcat is the community. You get a lot more participation on forums like this. Similar to Corvette, Camaro and Mustang groups, a hard core enthusiast base. Much more fun than digging through a Acura MDX forum to look for a cure to a noisy power steering pump.

Anyway, countless hours of my life have been wasted on car forums and may the curse continue! :)

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've met several of you, and everyone has been this weird retro-experience into the Tron world, bytes and bits falling out of your ears, leaking electrons all over the place. Very freaky...
;)
Knew you were a bit/byte!:unsure:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Knew you were a bit/byte!:unsure:

No no no! I'm REAL, everybody else is in the simulation!

(That means you too!)

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
No no no! I'm REAL, everybody else is in the simulation!

(That means you too!)

No your wrong. I was actually a Top Secret advanced mechanical experimental hologram.