Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone have experience selling their own home?

SilverBillet

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2013 Charger Daytona (Hellcat sold 5/16/20)
My wife and I want to sell our own home. Basically the market is so hot right now, we want to avoid the commissions. Anyone here have that experience?

Whatknot

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ford Mustang GT convertible
I put a sign in the front yard, and ad on craigslist to sell my last house. Hired a lawyer for the conveyancing, it sold quickly and smoothly.

Bowtie Guy

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
My wife and I want to sell our own home. Basically the market is so hot right now, we want to avoid the commissions. Anyone here have that experience?
Sold mine private
Real Estate agents jumped all over it
Some were asking for commission
I told them this is what I want out of my house if you get more its yours
Others said if I get my clients into your house that means I ll sell their house so no worries I m getting paid still

Then my Real Estate lawyer did the rest

Market in my area is crazy
People are buying without stepping on the property

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Get a competent Real Estate lawyer BEFORE you put up the sign !! Things can happen before, during and even after closing, so you want to make sure you have representation + did all the right things/paperwork required by local law.

You will get a crap load of calls from agents wanting to show your house, HARD PASS on this ! In most places, you owe them a commission even if the buyer comes back on their own after and buys the place. They will even try to scam you, show up with client in tow, say 'I was showing other homes to my client & they want to see yours' ploy. DO NOT let the agent in !!

May be OK to let ppl in who have a true buyers agent (in that case, the buyer is paying 100% of the commissions/broker fees). Make sure you ask the lawyer about that as some areas have true buyers agents, and in others (like in FL) it's really a sham & the seller is still on the hook.

In this market, I'd only sell cash/conventional, as-is (with right to inspect), no complex contingencies or ones that could take weeks & weeks to resolve.

AeroF16

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Get a competent Real Estate lawyer BEFORE you put up the sign !! Things can happen before, during and even after closing, so you want to make sure you have representation + did all the right things/paperwork required by local law.

You will get a crap load of calls from agents wanting to show your house, HARD PASS on this ! In most places, you owe them a commission even if the buyer comes back on their own after and buys the place. They will even try to scam you, show up with client in tow, say 'I was showing other homes to my client & they want to see yours' ploy. DO NOT let the agent in !!

May be OK to let ppl in who have a true buyers agent (in that case, the buyer is paying 100% of the commissions/broker fees). Make sure you ask the lawyer about that as some areas have true buyers agents, and in others (like in FL) it's really a sham & the seller is still on the hook.

In this market, I'd only sell cash/conventional, as-is (with right to inspect), no complex contingencies or ones that could take weeks & weeks to resolve.
Interesting. Couldn't you just state in the counter offer (assuming the sent you an offer you were happy with) that the buyer pays all the commissions? If they accept, great, if not, then send them on their way.

Seems like a way to get more traffic through the door and still not pay any commissions.

MikeD1

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Interesting. Couldn't you just state in the counter offer (assuming the sent you an offer you were happy with) that the buyer pays all the commissions? If they accept, great, if not, then send them on their way.

Seems like a way to get more traffic through the door and still not pay any commissions.
Depends on the state/local laws, but in most cases that would not work, especially if the buyer made a full price offer. More than likely, it would just piss everyone off & you'd have wasted your time on a sale that's not going to happen.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Housing market seems crazy right now! I've been looking to sell my existing house and buy another since last summer.....and I should have just bought a house then, because prices have sky rocketed since then....or at least the asking prices seems like the owners are all "swinging for the fences". And it seems like they are getting what they are asking...sometimes even more when you have a couple buyers start a bidding war.

I've looked at Zillow, Realtor.com and others. Zillow gives you history on what the last sale price was on a house.....and I've looked at many that were bought just a few years ago, and the homeowner is asking double the price or more than what they've paid for it back then...seems nuts to me....

Seems like a great time to sell, but buying is a different story...

ChargerChallenger

9000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I have mentioned this before and will post again the Foreign investors are now a third of the market. Read this article to see what is going on.
Foreign investors barely registered in these markets a few years ago. Now, they account for nearly a third of institutional investment in single-family rental homes, said Alex Foshay, head of international capital markets at real-estate services firm Newmark.

“There’s been very limited overseas investment into the single-family rental space prior to Covid, but nothing on this scale,” he said.

German insurer Allianz SE last month said it is investing in a venture to buy more than $4 billion of U.S. rental homes. Singapore’s sovereign-wealth fund GIC is backing plans by Quinn Residences to buy single-family rental homes across the southeastern U.S., according to people familiar with matter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/that-suburban-home-buyer-could-be-a-foreign-government-11618306380

Whatknot

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ford Mustang GT convertible
I had a hundred agents try to get in on it, told them to F off. When you deal with a potential buyer yourself, directly, it stops the realtors bullshit and lies. Realtors lie every time they open their mouth.

Last edited:

Rcasa20

Founding Member
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody
I have and although people may not care for realtors you do want them bringing buyers to you. So, make sure you advertise “broker protected” and pay them some sort of commission for bringing you a buyer (if their buyer buys). Find a local title company (depending on state) who has a FSBO package with all the docs you need. They want your business too and will help you when possible. Good luck!!

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
I have and although people may not care for realtors you do want them bringing buyers to you. So, make sure you advertise “broker protected” and pay them some sort of commission for bringing you a buyer (if their buyer buys). Find a local title company (depending on state) who has a FSBO package with all the docs you need. They want your business too and will help you when possible. Good luck!!
Thank you for that. Looks like we are going to go through a realtor friend of a friend rather than “Sale by Owner”. Decision made based on a discount and will be based on the buyer covering their own fees. I think a realtor can handle the listing better, the showings and negotiations to maximize our sale price. Plus we have a lot of other things to handle right now so it will take a lot of pressure off of us. I’m pretty sure it will pay dividends when everything is said and done.

Nvrenuf

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cookeville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I'll let you know how it goes. We are in the process now.

I was out walking Butch a month ago and ran into a neighbor we know from Crossfit. Asked him out of the blue (salesman at heart) if he wanted to buy a house? He said how'd you know we were looking?

In this market there is ZERO need for a realtor and you'd be paying 6% (or whatever) for nothing.

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warrenton
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
We expect multiple offers and inquiries from numerous realtors and decided it would be better for us to let someone with experience to handle it. We also believe they will make a better listing and get more than we would and the extra cost will pay for itself.