Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Any rumors for 2021 production?

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
With the economy in the dumpster and feeling like 2008 again (only worse), I would think the big three are not going to go on a limb this upcoming production cycle, especially for high performance, low volume coupes. I'm specifically wondering what the Challenger offerings might be (relative to 2020 offerings).

Questions I have include:

1. Is the redye on the chopping block?
2. Anything new (performance-wise) on the near term horizon?
3. Anything on the hybridization front (electric add on at the wheels maybe?)
4. Will FCA keep both the Charger and Challenger?
5. When (or will?) we see the next-gen Challenger (2022? 2023? Never?)
6. WIll FCA still merge or is that now dead?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm still looking for MY20 rumors....

Oh, wait....

Halos may have hope (from our perspective), their purpose being to draw overall sales to the product line.

So we may have hope?

But bottom line is I haven't seen anything.

:(

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
The fact that I’m ordering a 2020 virtually guarantees something better will happen in 2021.
Youre welcome.

Last edited:

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
With the economy in the dumpster and feeling like 2008 again (only worse), I would think the big three are not going to go on a limb this upcoming production cycle, especially for high performance, low volume coupes. I'm specifically wondering what the Challenger offerings might be (relative to 2020 offerings).

1- doubt it (at least not until the next gen)
2- FCA is the master of 'special editions' so we'll probably get a few more before the next refresh/redesign plus there will be the TRX, Redeye Charger, and HC Durango soon.
3- see #1
4- probably
5- it was already pushed back before, will probably be pushed back again due to all this pandemic crap (last I heard was '23 Challenger/'24 Charger. Not all new, but 'heavily revised' current platform...anyone else hear any different? I miss RS...)
6- it's already done in theory, but still needs various government(s) approval and all the fun lawyer/paperwork crap. I doubt we'll see any meaningful change or PSA influence with current FCA vehicles for several years until some products get replaced or merged at the end of their life cycles. https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...eot-merger-european-approval-date/3110508001/

Last edited:

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Great thread as it’s always fun to speculate (even though this situation is no laughing matter!):

1. The RE will continue to be offered as oil prices keep dropping so people aren’t going to be so rushed to adopt electric vehicles for mpg reductions. Plus remote working is here to stay for a looong time therefore I think V-8 sales for all vehicles will increase

2. My honest opinion is that there were probably some fancy hybrid options being considered but with Covid and the massive unemployment numbers, it’s all been shelved. I foresee 2020-2021 to be status quo with incredible power dollar deals and 0% financing rates

3. Yes but won’t be released until 2022 at the earliest

4. Yup. Chargers/Challengers are their bread and butter so might as well keep up the momentum

5. 2023 (will be debuted in fall of 2022)

6. FCA will merge as there is a multi-billion dollar incentive to do so:

“The merger has been touted as a way to save $4.1 billion annually without the need to close plants at a time when industry consolidation is expected to increase because of the costs associated with developing autonomous vehicles and other technologies.”

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Great thread as it’s always fun to speculate (even though this situation is no laughing matter!):

1. The RE will continue to be offered as oil prices keep dropping so people aren’t going to be so rushed to adopt electric vehicles for mpg reductions. Plus remote working is here to stay for a looong time therefore I think V-8 sales for all vehicles will increase

2. My honest opinion is that there were probably some fancy hybrid options being considered but with Covid and the massive unemployment numbers, it’s all been shelved. I foresee 2020-2021 to be status quo with incredible power dollar deals and 0% financing rates

3. Yes but won’t be released until 2022 at the earliest

4. Yup. Chargers/Challengers are their bread and butter so might as well keep up the momentum

5. 2023 (will be debuted in fall of 2022)

6. FCA will merge as there is a multi-billion dollar incentive to do so:

“The merger has been touted as a way to save $4.1 billion annually without the need to close plants at a time when industry consolidation is expected to increase because of the costs associated with developing autonomous vehicles and other technologies.”
Interesting comment on "4". As you probably know, passenger 'car' sales have been tanking for years. FCA is doing better than most but Dodge's bread and butter, like everyone else, are from SUV and truck sales. I gotta think having TWO sedan/coupes is almost unsustainable going forward soon.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Interesting comment on "4". As you probably know, passenger 'car' sales have been tanking for years. FCA is doing better than most but Dodge's bread and butter, like everyone else, are from SUV and truck sales. I gotta think having TWO sedan/coupes is almost unsustainable going forward soon.
True, but they both still sell in good numbers. The Charger outsells the Challenger in overall sales, but the Challenger sells more of the high performance variants (as well as outselling the competition despite being an old platform). I think they'll both stick around for a while.

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Take a look at these sales numbers for the "Big 3" Camaro, Challenger and Mustang for the last 5 years. I would think these #'s reinforce the fact that the Challenger (although Charger was not shown in the tables below I would think we can safely assume its a strong seller) isn't going kaput anytime soon:

1590513616028.png
1590513661663.png

And just for comparison, here go the 5 year sales figures for the Dodge Durango:
1590513999656.png

Sources:
1. http://motrolix.com/automotive-sale...t-camaro-vs-ford-mustang-vs-dodge-challenger/

2. https://carsalesbase.com/us-dodge-durango/

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
1590516363267.png

These numbers, all being identical month to month, are highly suspect...

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Corona does weird things to people on the job:whistle:

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The fact that I’m ordering a 2020 virtually guarantees something better will happen in 2021.
Youre welcome.
If I were to throw down and also order a 2020, there would be no doubt of something really great announced for 2021.
Now taking bribes ... uhhhh, 'incentives' to follow thru !

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Charger sells more numbers than the Challenger. Don't see how they can economically justify dumping either. While theyre are not identical the extent of commonality gives some serious economies of scale.

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Charger sells more numbers than the Challenger. Don't see how they can economically justify dumping either. While they're are not identical the extent of commonality gives some serious economies of scale.
Good point. That said, I think with 40M out of work, the auto companies could hemorrhage pretty quickly without some serious demand coming back online. Economically, 2008 was a common cold compared to this deadly flu in 2020. And we saw how poorly the Car companies did back in 08.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I think dodge likes the charger as being America’s “only 4 door muscle car” and it does sell. My guess is they’re staying with it.. challenger for sure. Next gens prob 23/24

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I think dodge likes the charger as being America’s “only 4 door muscle car” and it does sell. My guess is they’re staying with it.. challenger for sure. Next gens prob 23/24
Tbh i think that’s just a byproduct of having the Charger around. Dont forget how many are fleet cars, rentals, lower models, police cars, etc. there are. It’s widely used and having it as a Hellcat is certainly not keeping them in business imo. The Charger Hellcat numbers are relatively small. They had a great idea to offer it as a Hellcat but i dont think FCA is keeping the Charger around strictly based on muscle.

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
I could see the Charger getting a face lift within the next two years and the Cuda replacing the Challenger.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
View attachment 17840

These numbers, all being identical month to month, are highly suspect...

Think that has to do with a switch over to quarterly reporting (instead of monthly). Ford was first (start of 2019), followed by Chevy and FCA (mid 2019).

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Think that has to do with a switch over to quarterly reporting (instead of monthly). Ford was first (start of 2019), followed by Chevy and FCA (mid 2019).
Yes agreed, I believe I read something to that effect recently.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Tbh i think that’s just a byproduct of having the Charger around. Dont forget how many are fleet cars, rentals, lower models, police cars, etc. there are. It’s widely used and having it as a Hellcat is certainly not keeping them in business imo. The Charger Hellcat numbers are relatively small. They had a great idea to offer it as a Hellcat but i dont think FCA is keeping the Charger around strictly based on muscle.
Agreed that it’s just a selling point, but that “muscle” is their claim to fame. That’s why they’re maxing out every model they can. For them, it’s working. I mean, that’s why we’re all on this site. We love that aspect, bigger, better, faster than the next guy. Well most of the time lol