Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

1971 Charger Collection

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Interesting attraction to ’71’s. Probably a good collection choice as they seem to be going up in value lately and affordable to acquire not long ago.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
When I was young I didn't like the '71; I preferred the '68-'70. But as I got older, the '71 grew on me, and now I would love to have one. I'm disappointed the owner said he would put them all in a foundation so they would never be sold. That seems unfair to the rest of us Mopar lovers. He wants future generations to see what made him smile, but what about future generations driving them? After all, that's what they're for.

OP
P

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Thread Starter #5
The ones that turned me off were the base-type models. Those Landau roofs didn't help, either.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
When I was young I didn't like the '71; I preferred the '68-'70. But as I got older, the '71 grew on me, and now I would love to have one. I'm disappointed the owner said he would put them all in a foundation so they would never be sold. That seems unfair to the rest of us Mopar lovers. He wants future generations to see what made him smile, but what about future generations driving them? After all, that's what they're for.
Very few Hemi owners (or classic musclecars of any kind let alone Hemi cars) actually drive them anymore

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Very few Hemi owners (or classic musclecars of any kind let alone Hemi cars) actually drive them anymore
And that is a cryin shame...

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
And that is a cryin shame...
There is little benefit in driving or racing a classic Hemi car these days. There is really no place you would want to drive it to.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
There is little benefit in driving or racing a classic Hemi car these days. There is really no place you would want to drive it to.
68/70....probably the most stunning mopar from a design standpoint...by 71...it was over...never cared for the 71...but then...how could any car meet the standard...set by the earlier chargers..

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I have always thought this was the ugliest body style of any Mopar ever. IMVHO.
As far as Chargers go never been a fan of the 66-67. Most of the 65-67 I really don't care for

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I absolutely love the old musclecars, but I believe they will crash hard in about 10-20 years, then I plan on being old and rich enough to pick up a couple cool ones ;)

New cars are just so great now the driving experience of the old ones leaves a lot to be desired. It's hard to even sell anything pre 1955 now and people who own the pre-war stuff have to beg people to buy their cars/become caretakers of them.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
In Re to the last paragraph, has Tim not driven a Hellcat M6? I love the old muscle cars, I owned a Hemi Road Runner 4 spd, and a A12 4 speed Road Runner, so I know how they drive. But right now is the second iteration of the Muscle Car era, these are the good old days. Right now. These new muscle cars are going away, just like the earlier versions in the 70's did. This new generation of muscle cars are so much better than the old ones in every category except style.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
In Re to the last paragraph, has Tim not driven a Hellcat M6? I love the old muscle cars, I owned a Hemi Road Runner 4 spd, and a A12 4 speed Road Runner, so I know how they drive. But right now is the second iteration of the Muscle Car era, these are the good old days. Right now. These new muscle cars are going away, just like the earlier versions in the 70's did. This new generation of muscle cars are so much better than the old ones in every category except style.
This story looks real old as I stated. I know the hellcat wasn't even I thought when it was written

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I absolutely love the old musclecars, but I believe they will crash hard in about 10-20 years, then I plan on being old and rich enough to pick up a couple cool ones ;)

New cars are just so great now the driving experience of the old ones leaves a lot to be desired. It's hard to even sell anything pre 1955 now and people who own the pre-war stuff have to beg people to buy their cars/become caretakers of them.
I’m on the hunt for an all steel ’34 Ford Vicky with a Ford engine (hard to find). Push come to shove, I’ll consider one with a Chevy engine so I can replace it with an early gen. 392 hemi. Not going to be intended as a daily driver, of course, but just enjoy the beauty of design and weekend fun/car shows. So far, prices aren’t indicating anyone begging someone to buy their cars but that could change with this wonderful economy evolving.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I’m on the hunt for an all steel ’34 Ford Vicky with a Ford engine (hard to find). Push come to shove, I’ll consider one with a Chevy engine so I can replace it with an early gen. 392 hemi. Not going to be intended as a daily driver, of course, but just enjoy the beauty of design and weekend fun/car shows. So far, prices aren’t indicating anyone begging someone to buy their cars but that could change with this wonderful economy evolving.
Let me guess, can't find a '32 Ford in mint condition for a good price either...I am speaking in more general terms of course, there will always be some "hot" ones to have that will always be desirable.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I owned a '72 Charger for many years...at least 15 before I sold it for peanuts back then. It wasn't an R/T or even an SE....just a base 318 2 barrel carb one rated at 150 whopping HP. That car always started and was really reliable, but handled like a grocery cart....and I still miss that car.

But...the R/T's and SE versions were the ones to have. They drove and handled so much better than the base models back then. Always wished I had a '71 R/T with the bulged hood and a big block. Thanks for posting the article! fullsizeoutput_ed.jpeg

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The new musclecars are very cool. Lots of power and reliability. But there is something about an old musclecar that feels so awesome. The car shakes while it idles. It's sooooo simple inside. A radio and a heater are about it. The sound they make when you stand on it cannot compare to anything else. I love my HC but my older car are what it's all about for me. Hey, to each his own right?

As for the 71 -74 Chargers, I'd buy one if I found one dirt cheap. The 68 Charger is the nicest of them all. Bullitt - I can watch that chase scene a thousand times and not get bored of it.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

Street Rod market went through this.
Still kind of is although the real classics (32 Ford for example) still are strong.

Guys die off and the generation behind them doesn't give a fuck.

OP
P

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Thread Starter #20
Like many here, I grew up with the 60's and 70's cars. Until the Pony-cars, we had alot of fast cars that wouldn't stop or turn. And tires were on the cutting-edge with the Firestone Wide-Ovals and the Goodyear Polyglas GT. ;)

I don't miss the task of laying over a hot engine compartment setting the points on that dual-point distributor tucked in the back, next to the firewall.

A ton of fond memories attached to those cars. What's that old saw, "The older I get, the faster I was" or something to that effect.

These current cars are the best made so far.